Interesting Story

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I used to do security work at this night club. The guy that owned the club also owns a coupla restaurants so of course we talked about food all of the time. I even took him some of my Que from time to time.

So I went to his restaurant for lunch the other day because I was in the mood for some Hawaiian food. We were talkin while they were fixing my Island Fried Chicken and he told me about a guy that he met that owns a BBQ restaurant. The guy was interested in BBQ competitions and immediately the Hawaiian owner thought of me. So he got the guy's number and gave it to me.

I called this guy and found out that he was the new owner of a restaurant near my job. He took it over from an uncle who didn't have a passion for cooking. He was just in it for the money. I had been to the restaurant (joint) before and I really wasn't impressed. The new owner wants to make it better and wants input on how to do it so he invited me to come down and taste what he was doing and give him some new ideas.

So I went there today on my lunch break and met him in the parking lot. He took me straight to the kitchen and gave me the tour. They had a huge Ole Hickory smoker that holds about 240 racks of spares at one time. He cooks with hickory and red oak.

We sampled some brisket, pork ribs and beef ribs and I liked the smokiness and texture of his meat. The rub was light and didn't really enhance the flavor of the meat though. We actually made plans to get together and work on some rubs.

He was a really nice guy and open to some new ideas. I found out after talking to him for a while that he is actually related to Jim Neely from Neely's Interstate BBQ in Memphis. Go figure.

Anyway it was cool to meet another fellow BBQ'er and do what I can to help.

Good for you Mista! Helping him tweak his rub just might be all he needs to step up to the next level. And this might become an avenue for Mista's sauce as well! You're a good man Mista!

Just don't do it for free Mista. You're helping him in a commercial endevour you deserve to get paid. Restaurant consultants make a lot of money in NY.

Good story BigMista Man.
Always makes ya feel kinda good when someone thinks you have some good ideas about BBQ.
And, I'm sure you do.
Give his BBQ the BigMista Touch!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!!!

... sounds like the Q_uality of Q in So Calif is rising !! Keep posting how things pogress and how the rubs develop. I always enjoy coming back for visits and now this could be another attraction .... might even get to meet the Mistas.

Neil does the new owner know what a fattie is? Thanks for helping the fellow out.

Thats a good deal Mista! I agree w/ Kick -- Let him taste your sauce, and use him as an outlet. "Proudly serving ......." and have some bottles for sale on prem... I would hope the street goes both ways-- Sound like you are happy with the way things are working. You're elevating his que! If you don't feel you are getting reciprocity in the relationship... you can always go Brooklyn's route, and propose a consulting exercise.

Bigmista, BBQ Consultant.
Raising the level of BBQ nationwide!

I think I like that!

Rob is right. Remember, he will be your competition if you open a place up.

Bigmista said:
Bigmista, BBQ Consultant.
Raising the level of BBQ nationwide!

I think I like that!

Go Mista, Go Mista!!

Good on ya, brother.

BrooklynQ said:
Just don't do it for free Mista. You're helping him in a commercial endevour you deserve to get paid. Restaurant consultants make a lot of money in NY.

Yeah.. What he said...

When YOUR rub makes his business boom, and all of a sudden u cant even get him to let u in the kitchen, u gonna be kicking yourself in the arse.

cover that butt now, and i dont mean with rub..

Back