Taylor remote temp probe

mawil1013

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just bought a Taylor with remote alarm temp probe. What caught my eye was the probe 'cable' was no longer in braided stainless steel, it is some type of plastic.

Anyone got comments on the plastics? What is it made of?, melting issues? Do they last longer?

Mostly in my experience it is the cable/probes that crap out well ahead of the device itself.

It surely will be easier to clean!

I bought several spare probes from Taylor last year. I think they were $5 each direct sale.
They were the coated ones and I have had no problems with them.
I do the heat shrink Mod to all my probes and that helps a lot also.

TIM

I bought several spare probes from Taylor last year. I think they were $5 each direct sale.
They were the coated ones and I have had no problems with them.
I do the heat shrink Mod to all my probes and that helps a lot also.

TIM

? what is "heat shrink mod"? you have some sort of long heat shrink tube to cover braided metal cable?

Been discussed many times here.

I get 1/4" heat shrink tubing from any auto supply or big box hardware store.
Use pieces about 2 to 2.5" long which are slipped over the probe at the point where the cable meets the probe.
Heat with a cig lighter or hair dryer enough to hold it in place.
In the cooker, it will shrink on up and get tight.

Keeps the moisture out of the junction and makes it stronger.

TIM

I have a couple of Taylors with the silicone cable. Have been fine. I actually like the way the Taylor unit tips up for easier reading as opposed to the Mavericks, which I also have. I called tayor and asked how high of heat the cable would tolerate and if I remember it was like 400-450.

I have a couple of Taylors with the silicone cable. Have been fine. I actually like the way the Taylor unit tips up for easier reading as opposed to the Mavericks, which I also have. I called tayor and asked how high of heat the cable would tolerate and if I remember it was like 400-450.

They sound like they're pretty good, thanks!

Back