Wood consupsion vs holding cooking temp at 250

Tar River BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Howdy, While holding cooking temps in the 250 range what is the average wood consupsion of most smokers ? :-D

All depends on the pit, the weather, all sorts of fun. What kind of smoker you have Charlie??

BTW - great avitar - those farking Sleestaks freaked me out as a kid.

I have a home made oil drum smoker with off set firebox this does great but we burn about 30 to 35 sticks of wood on a average 12 hr cook at 250.

on my offset, you can figure 4 pieces per hour (pieces being 4" diameter 16" long) to maintain 250. about 1.5 - 2 times that amount to get up to temp.

That is a 100% wood fire (no charcoal).

My offset is 30" diameter x 48" long.

Hard woods= 1/2 lb per hour.
Fruit woods= 3/4 lb per hour.

Sorry--just had to say it.
Going to my room now. :lol:

TIM

I can go about 10-11 hours on about 7-8 lbs of charcoal and four 1x1x6-8 staves of cherry or apple wood in my Competitor. I haven't had a chance to see a difference in the amount of fuel used based on weather yet - I just got the Competitor in November.

the 60 will burn about 2.5-3 lbs of charcoal per hour at that temp. (more at the begining, but that's about the average)

Thanks for the heads up... was that lump or brickette? Either way, I'll have to keep my eyes open for a sale... Fatboyz promised me some of the shag bark hickory next time I'm north so I should be good with the wood for a while...

By the way, how did you like the race???

on my offset, you can figure 4 pieces per hour (pieces being 4" diameter 16" long) to maintain 250. about 1.5 - 2 times that amount to get up to temp.

That is a 100% wood fire (no charcoal).

My offset is 30" diameter x 48" long.

Half that in a smaller offset (nbbd)?

The race was awesome... I'm actually a Ryan Newman guy... so it was even better. Saw the truck race friday, which was a lot better than I thought it was gonig to be. Way faster, and more changes than I expected.

I mix it up depending on what I have. I find the brand makes more of a difference than the shape of the charcoal. Been using a lot of hardwood briquetts lately... price mostly, and they are easier to throw in.

If you go all wood, or partial wood, its easy... firewood size logs easily fit in the 60 in any direction.

Glad you like them... I watched them from the comfort of the living room...

Thanks for the heads up on the lump/wood mix... I'll keep it in mind....

Back