WSM Pulled Pork

JoeSmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I purchased the WSM last month, seasoned it, did some smoked beer can chicken(good, but rubbery skin) and some fatties. Last weekend I went full throttle and got 4 boston butts between 7.5 to 8.5 lbs, bone in. We were having a birthday party for my 3yr old daughter and I was bringing the Q! I have a few pics here, needless to say, my wife is the photographer, the blurry ones are mine...:roll:

Made up my rub and after trimming the butts, slathered with mustard, and added rub. I thought they looked pretty good. Got them on the WSM at 11:30 Friday night while enjoying evening and a few(and a few more) cold Miller Lites. The WSM cruised quite well all night, I awoke around 5 since I forgot to activate the alarm on my Maverick ET 732 (perhaps one too many beers? nah..) and stirred the coals to get her back up to temp.

I added a half chimney to the smoker at 11am since I had to leave to get the party set up and was afraid of it going out. I don't think I needed it, but it made me more at ease.

I pulled them all off at 3pm Saturday with the IT of one at 187*. Then into foil and the cooler and off to the party.

My wife was impressed when I pulled the bones out clean and then when she had a taste of the bark, it was all good. She is hooked! She told me to only pull 3 and take the 4th home just for us.. haha...

Made up 3 sauces for the party, one East Carolina spicy vinegar based, one South Carolina mustard based, and one mid western? based. I liked them all, but really dig the spicy vinegar one.

All in all, great success and greater fun.

Attachments

• spices1.jpg
    spices1.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 140
  • WSM1.jpg
    WSM1.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Rubbed3.jpg
    Rubbed3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 138
  • sauces.jpg
    sauces.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 138
  • Pulled.jpg
    Pulled.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 139
I love it when a plan comes together & everyone is happy... Looks like you nailed it. Cheers!!!

Really nice. I'm interested in trying a mustard sauce. Are they difficult to put together?

Looks great! The wsm is such a great smoker.

Just curious though, how much Liquid Wrench did you add? :becky: (noticed it in the first picture)

picture.php

The mustard sauce I made was pretty good, a native South Carolina buddy liked it. The recipie I used was from Soaked, Slathered, and Seasoned by Elizabeth Karmel. I think its a pretty good book, although it is my first BBQ book, so what do I know really?? :p

3/4 cup cider vinegar
1 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup honey
2 tblsp peanut oil (i used veg oil)
2 1/2 tsp worcestershire sause
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 dashes cayenne pepper
2 tsp sea salt (i used kosher salt)

Mix everything together except the salt/peppers and bring to a boil, add the salt/peppers and simmer for 5-10 min and let it cool.

Oh, and the liquid wrench, dang, you saw my secret ingredient!! :tongue:

That looks fantastic! You have the setup (WSM and Maverick) that I am hoping to get, as soon as take of a student loan.
Do you have the probe wire going thru the vent holes?
Elizabeth Karmel has great books out there. Have you seen her pizza on the grill book? I recommend it. I believe she had a book before the slather one, called taming the flame?, that may be incorrect. Looks great though! Have great weekend.

Yeah, I have the probe wires going through the vent holes. It makes it difficult to take the lid off, but maybe that is a good thing!

I have not seen any of the other books by Karmel, but I will have to check them out.

I am loving this setup with the Maverick probes too. My wife commented, "So, you have a baby monitor for your smoker?".... yup! After she tasted it, she understood...

Have a great weekend too!

The only thing I see wrong with that cook is "miller light" :ban:

Try Keystone light, or Keystone Ice. More flavor, slightly more filling. :-D

Back