Prepping a UDS

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Ok, how clean does the inside of the drum need to be? Here is what I started with: Honey drum with a painted liner. I burned it out, did the whole thing with a weed burner. As I burned off the outside, the paint blistered up on the inside as well. After it was all done, I hit the inside with a power washer and got it pretty good. Right now, it is smooth on the inside, but is also blackened. Do I need to wire wheel this thing until the whole inside is nice and shiny, or, as long as there are no rough spots, aka, blistered paint, am I done?

that blistered paint inside is most likely an epoxy.....

If anyone knows of a fuel distributor, I can get new 55 gal. drums for $30. $15 depending on his mood. Haha. That's with no liner in the barrel. Just a thought.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, back to work. Looking forward to getting it done.

I took mine down to bare metal. Not too tough, just takes a bit of time. I did not burn mine, used a wire cup on drill and sandpaper by hand. It's a labor of love.......

has anyone used high temp grill paint on the inside of their drum? I have my drum down to metal with a few isolated spots clear down in the bottom corner of the liner that didn't burn. How critical is it that it is perfect? Could a guy use the grill paint to SEAL the inside away from the cooking?

has anyone used high temp grill paint on the inside of their drum? I have my drum down to metal with a few isolated spots clear down in the bottom corner of the liner that didn't burn. How critical is it that it is perfect? Could a guy use the grill paint to SEAL the inside away from the cooking?
Never paint the inside of the drum, just season it.

Do you think that the few isolated pockets of liner will be a problem. It is 99% clean down to metal, but in the bottom corner where the side meets the bottom, there is still some remaining. Does it need to be 100% perfect?

When I burned mine out I just hosed out the inside and lightly scrubbed with dishwashing sponge. It was discolored on the inside but it was bare metal. It cooks like any other UDS (but faster because it's red). ;)

I did my burn and used a floppy sand disk. I could still see a very faint hint of the dreaded red liner, but WTF, once it's seasoned it's not a concern. IMHO:-D

Back