New lump @ Sams

The Grill Sergeant

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Using RO & Frontier lump, I've often wondered what kind of wood I was using. Anyone know?

There is a new brand @ Sam's. It's Best of the West - 100% mesquite lump. It's a prod of Mexico like Frontier. Anyone use it? Any input? I bought a bag - 40 lbs / $15. I will keep u updated as I burn through it.

the naked whiz rated below avg
but ive been thinking about trying it anyways

Hopefully it's not similar to Mexican mesquite I got one time. It was sparkling like 4th of July.

I used this last year until they stopped carrying it (they only sold it during the spring last year).

It sparks a lot while lighting up, but I like it. I love it for grilling. It sparks like crazy in the chimney, and for about 10 to 20 minutes after I dump the coals in the kettle, but after that it is fine. The flavor is great, you do not need to add other flavoring woods, and pairs with beef beautifully.

Some of the pieces are crazy huge, and you may need to either chop them down or find other creative ways to use it.

Oddly enough, when have used it in my WSM's (I have only cooked Brisket with it), it sparks a lot when dumping the lit coals on, but not during the whole cook. If I have the cover off for too long though, then it does start sparking, but that settles back down again shortly after putting the lid back on.

I started seeing it in Sam's again recently and pick up a bag or two each time I go in to stock up. I liked this stuff better than the Frontier lump. I also use the Frontier lump, but what I dislike about it is the amount of fine particles that are unusable. It also lacks the flavor that the Mesquite stuff has.

Most of my cooks are in the long range, and I've found using mesquite lump makes the results over the top smokey. I prefer oak lump for long cooks.

I only use mesquite anything on very short, hot cooks, it's great with steak!

I believe the RO is mostly white oak just like the BGE lump

I like Best of the West lump way better than Frontier. Frontier is mostly mill shop scraps. So who knows what kind of wood it is? Pine maybe? I hope they continue carrying BOTW. The last time I was there, I bought 3 bags for me and 2 for my neighbor. When it's gone, I'll buy more.

Dave

Mesquite is fine for grilling. BAD for smoking. Texans don't even use it.

Ditto

Mesquite is way too strong to smoke with, fine to grill with, but why would I? with hickory & oak so widespread in my area, there is no need. :thumb:

Ditto

Mesquite is way too strong to smoke with, fine to grill with, but why would I? with hickory & oak so widespread in my area, there is no need. :thumb:
I agree about using mesquite wood being too strong, but not mesquite coals or charcoal. That's OK though, we don't have to agree.:thumb:

I agree about using mesquite wood being too strong, but not mesquite coals or charcoal. That's OK though, we don't have to agree.:thumb:

I've only tried mesquite lump once, and did not smoke with it due to my experiences with mesquite wood.

It smelled just like mesquite though :confused:

To the OP - I would definitely not take my word for it.
1. Chris has actually done a review on it, and seems to have a bit more experience.
2. I am an opinianted guy - try it for yourself, and let us know! :thumb:

I use the Best in the West, from Smart and Final, about the same price ($14.50) for a 40 lb bag. Can't beat the price, despite about 5-10 pounds being unusable dust. Works great on my grill and my offset, although, I usually mix it with Stubbs

DSC00259a.jpg

You got that right. I've cooked on mesquite coals for a long time. In the old days we just burned it down and moved the coals into the cooker. Mesquite charcoal was very cheap and in Mexico, it was what everyone used.​

For my long cooks, my favorite is Lazzari , but last year when Sam's brought in the 40# bags of BOTW, I checked it out and it's a good value. You have to get used to the large pieces, and it burns hotter.... so there is a little tending of the lower vent. But the flavor is really nice.​

DSC00261a.jpg

Mesquite wood is another story. Even though I'm not near it any more, I have some solid sources for fresh cut... and I use it for trading and will put some splits into the BDS when cooking brisket.​

IMG_0313a.jpg

My go-2 smoke used to be hickory & apple. Then I found pecan & cherry and have switched. Based on what I'm reading, I gotta smoke something with this stuff and see what the results are. Thanks guys! I'll keep u posted.

Forget the brisket and give me PIG! The two biggest - no, let me make that two of the biggest lies Texans foisted off on the world is that mesquite is good and brisket is king (IMHO). HEY! they had scrub mesquite taking over the land (it's considered a weed in Texas) and some damn tough range beef. They sold it for what they could (ever meet a Texan that was humble?).

I've cooked Q for almost 35 years, and I've judged for years. In all that time i've had truely great 9.0 brisket only a few times. If I want brisket, I'll go to Oklahoma Joe's.

Ok, Ladies & Gentlemen: I'm officially impressed with the new lump. Flavor is good, and not overwhelming. Heat was excellent and the burn more than adequate. Did my first burn with a spatchcock chicken and everyone enjoyed it. I will be buying more. Actually prefer this to Frontier or RO!

Forget the brisket and give me PIG! The two biggest - no, let me make that two of the biggest lies Texans foisted off on the world is that mesquite is good and brisket is king (IMHO). HEY! they had scrub mesquite taking over the land (it's considered a weed in Texas) and some damn tough range beef. They sold it for what they could (ever meet a Texan that was humble?).

I've cooked Q for almost 35 years, and I've judged for years. In all that time i've had truely great 9.0 brisket only a few times. If I want brisket, I'll go to Oklahoma Joe's.

Easy on the Texans, Mitch. Geez.

In Texas, mesquite is very widely used. In moderation.

You don't pour Black Velvet Whisky over ice and guzzle, do you? Well, most people don't because it tastes like crap. But if you mix it with a cola, and chill it for a bit, it pretty good.

Same with mesquite. Mix it with oak, hickory, pecan, or another mild wood, it gives a great flavor in beef cuts.

Back