• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

pit galvanized metal liners

Don Jeansonne

Reaction score
I want to make a liner for a box type cooker. The liner also serves as a drip or catch pan. I know there are many people that are afraid of galvanize metal around any food. I believe this came from the problem of welding and burning of galvanize metal and breathng the fumes. I don't see this as the same thing since cokoing in the 300 -400 degF range cannot vaporize the metals.
What are the opinions of the people that are knowledgable of such applications ( not impressions but facts).

Thanks for your input.

I've seen data that says galv fumes arent released until around the 800*F mark. But most people just simply stay away from galv coated metal in their cooking equipment. So, the call is yours.

I know a guy who uses a trash can for a cooker at camps...he does an initial burn to coat it and burn off any nasties...then he is good to go...he has been using the trash can method for the better part of 20 yrs...and he is still alive.

I was wondering about that too. Yesterday I saw Clint's pig roast pics using a La Caja China. On their web site the small unit it galvanized metal on the inside.

It's sort of like running stop signs and running red lights...it's perfectly safe;
until something goes wrong and you get hurt; or die.

To my knowledge; galvanized metal was never intended to be used for
cooking or storing food...if it was you would find cookware and ovens and
other cooking items made from galvanized metal.

I believe it is a BAD idea to go to the hardware store and buy galvanized
trash cans, or plastic buckets, or plastic containers for use in cooking or
storing food....they are NOT food grade plastics or metal.

Many people smoke cigarettes all their lives...and nothing happens.
Others get Cancer and die a nasty death.

Is it worth a few dollars to risk your health; and your family & friends
health by using galvanized metal around food?

This is just MY personal opinion.

As long as you coat your galvanized metal with liberal coating of MSG you will be fine. :twisted:

If you cook MSG enhanced meat in a galvanized metal pit you don't get headaches...

Your head turns green shrivels up and falls off...

If you cook MSG enhanced meat in a galvanized metal pit you don't get headaches...

Your head turns green shrivels up and falls off...

I thought that only happend if you boiled the meat in liquid smoke first!

LoL another one, there are food processing made out of it , I work for Flowers Bakery for 22 years, the oven tray and proof box rack was galv. University of Ky recommend sorghum syrup pan be made out of galv. It not going to kill you. but if you weld or burn it make you sick.

LoL another one, there are food processing made out of it , I work for Flowers Bakery for 22 years, the oven tray and proof box rack was galv. University of Ky recommend sorghum syrup pan be made out of galv. It not going to kill you. but if you weld or burn it make you sick.

Hmm 2 key words spoken here,....SICK & BURN, those should be enough.

Or then again I always felt Darwins theory on the process of natural selection was brilliant so um,....go for it dude.

You cant just "burn off" galvanizing. It gets deeper than just the surface of the metal. As long as it doesn't get hot enough for fumes to start, like mentioned above look at the La Caja China cooker pig roast.

As for the rest of this thread...im out.

use of galvanize

I will investigate alternative materials like aluminum or iron even though I didn't plan on having it come in contact with the food.

Thanks for the inputs.

I will investigate alternative materials like aluminum or iron even though I didn't plan on having it come in contact with the food.

Thanks for the inputs.
It's not so much having the food come in contact with it, it's when the galv. gets hot enough to give off the toxins. Remember, your cooking area may not get above say 300 degrees but if you have it right next to the fire box that area my reach well over 600*.

For me, it's not worth the chance of making either me or more importantly someone I care about sick.

Toxic Doses:
Zinc toxicity is rare. Ingesting large quantities (>80mg a day) can induce copper deficiency if sustained more than a few weeks. Symptoms would include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, lethargy and muscle fatigue. Zinc levels in the body that are too high can depress immune function, interestingly so can levels that are too low.

Barbecue grill netting China (2009-04-17)

80)this.width=80;"> Material: stainless steel wire, mild steel galvanized wire, or welded wire Wire diameter: at customers specific requirement. Shape: flat shape and convex shape,round, square, rectangular, curve, etc. Size:230mm, 240mm, 260mm, 270mm, 280mm, 300mm, 350mm

Back