BigMista's Brisket

TysDad

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was digging through the "Aging Meat for Comps" thread in the competition area, followed the link to DrBBQs discussion and saw this:

10-30-2004, 04:53 P
Wow. I haven't had the nerve to try a brisket. Hate waste a good piece of meat with my ineptitude. But you guys make me really want to try one. Now I just have to find the time...

Based on what I tasted last Saturday, I think you've figured it out! Four years ago...how many briskets have you done since then? Would you share your method, tips, tricks, things you've learned?

great find! I think I remember that thread...it's great to see how we've changed threw the years:biggrin:

Can't wait to hear your answers Neil:biggrin:

Wow! What I've learned about brisket thru the years, huh? OK, I'll give it a shot.

1. It ain't nearly as hard as you think to cook a brisket.
2. The temperature you cook it at doesn't matter. I'v e done good briskets hot & fast and low & slow.
3. The cooker doesn't matter AS LONG AS THE BRISKET FITS! Gotta have air flow to keep your temps up. Trying to cook 4 big briskets in a UDS is more trouble than it's worth.
4. Sugar and beef rarely work well together. Beef should taste like beef. Pork and chicken are better at taking on the flavors that are added to them.
5. Everyone should cook a brisket with just salt & pepper at least once.
6. You can smoke a brisket part of the way one day and finish it the next day and still have it come out good.
7. Bark is tasty but overrated. I find that if the bark is crunchy then the ends will crumble on your slices. Figure out what is important to you.
8. Temperature is only a guideline. Learn to detect doneness by feel.
9. It's almost impossible to slice against the grain of a whole packer. Split the point and the flat before slicing. Slicing correctly is at least as important and doneness where tenderness is concerned.
10. Don't be bashful with your seasoning. I find that most seasoning mellows after hours in the smoke. If you start light, you end with nothing. BE BOLD!!

Study everything I have just said. Absorb it. Now throw it out the window and find your own path!

Bark is tasty but overrated. I find that if the bark is crunchy then the ends will crumble on your slices. Figure out what is important to you.

That's interesting. I've been wanting to get firmer bark on my briskets, but this makes sense.

Wow! What I've learned about brisket thru the years, huh? OK, I'll give it a shot.

2. The temperature you cook it at doesn't matter. I'v e done good briskets hot & fast and low & slow.
3. The cooker doesn't matter AS LONG AS THE BRISKET FITS! Gotta have air flow to keep your temps up. Trying to cook 4 big briskets in a UDS is more trouble than it's worth.
4. Sugar and beef rarely work well together. Beef should taste like beef. Pork and chicken are better at taking on the flavors that are added to them.
6. You can smoke a brisket part of the way one day and finish it the next day and still have it come out good.
7. Bark is tasty but overrated. I find that if the bark is crunchy then the ends will crumble on your slices. Figure out what is important to you.
9. It's almost impossible to slice against the grain of a whole packer. Split the point and the flat before slicing. Slicing correctly is at least as important and doneness where tenderness is concerned.
10. Don't be bashful with your seasoning. I find that most seasoning mellows after hours in the smoke. If you start light, you end with nothing. BE BOLD!!

Study everything I have just said. Absorb it. Now throw it out the window and find your own path!

There is a lot of wisdom and experience distilled into ten sentences right there. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I remember that thread too. Neil, you've always been a source of inspiration to me, and those ten (or eleven!) pearls of wisdom are further examples!

Smoke on, brother!

Arlin

Thank you. I am still trying to find my way

Mista,
Have you amazed yourself yet with the speed at which being good ramps up business? What I mean is, not to be afraid to grow...If it's good and they are buying it, go for it. In 2004, we started with a Brinkman Cimmaron. In 2005, we thought we had maxed out with a $6,000 trailer pit. Now, replacing the truck, trailer and FEC would cost around $90,000 not to mention all of the other catering "stuff". Are you finding yourself in a similar situation? I hope so, 'cause it's a fun ride so far!

Mista,
Have you amazed yourself yet with the speed at which being good ramps up business? What I mean is, not to be afraid to grow...If it's good and they are buying it, go for it. In 2004, we started with a Brinkman Cimmaron. In 2005, we thought we had maxed out with a $6,000 trailer pit. Now, replacing the truck, trailer and FEC would cost around $90,000 not to mention all of the other catering "stuff". Are you finding yourself in a similar situation? I hope so, 'cause it's a fun ride so far!

It seems like we are on that path. And it is a fun ride.

I like it when the rules isn't written in stone. (varietation is good)

I was digging through the "Aging Meat for Comps" thread in the competition area, followed the link to DrBBQs discussion and saw this:

10-30-2004, 04:53 P

Based on what I tasted last Saturday, I think you've figured it out! Four years ago...how many briskets have you done since then? Would you share your method, tips, tricks, things you've learned?

Paul, You must have a lot of time on your hands.:mrgreen:

You oughta know how it is when you live out in the boonies...:lol:

There is a lot of wisdom and experience distilled into ten sentences right there. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Got what I asked for...something distilled. Thank you for that short list.

Some how I knew you answer would be great! Thanks for sharing.:biggrin:
We didn't get to talk much at the crawl...this is not a substitute, but at least I learned something.
Paul, You must have a lot of time on your hands.:mrgreen:
Just got up early today. Coffee and reading about Q makes me cook bacon or sausage for breakfast instead of pouring a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios.
You oughta know how it is when you live out in the boonies...:lol:
:biggrin:

Back