brisket

SmokinPaPa

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
th_060.jpg
th_058.jpg
th_059.jpg

Could someone give me some quick pointers on brisket low and slow advice. Thanks in advance. I will post pictures afterwards good or bad.

Last edited:
I cook flats on a WSM. I slather them with worcestershire sauce, then rub. I cook them fat side down at 250*to an internal temp of 160 - 165*. I then foil, and take them to 190* and start checking for tenderness with a probe. When the probe goes in like it is going into butter it is done. I then let it rest in the foil for at least an hour.

Just about the same for as Brian except:
I make a glue of equal parts yellow mustard, honey and your favorite steak sauce.
I start fat cap up the first 4 hours.

I foil, some others would suggest not to.

What are you cooking on? You'll get a lot more detailed advice from folks that are using your particular smoker...:p Brian's advice is dead on for flats on a bullet.

I do mine @ 325-350...no water in the pan...foil @ 160...cooler @ 190...rest for 2 hours...enjoy! I make sure my briskets are very cold (right out of the fridge) and rub them up right before putting them on the smoker...as soon as I fire up the pit...I throw on the meat...gives a killer smoke ring! :p Use oak for smoke wood if you have it...Good Luck! :biggrin:

I cook flats on a WSM. I slather them with worcestershire sauce, then rub. I cook them fat side down at 250*to an internal temp of 160 - 165*. I then foil, and take them to 190* and start checking for tenderness with a probe. When the probe goes in like it is going into butter it is done. I then let it rest in the foil for at least an hour.

Textbook advice! :biggrin:

My name is Bigmofo...and I approve this message.

Great Advice ... I skip the foil, but I love chopped burnt end sandys ...

How old is that SnP? I've got one just like it with no side fire box that is about 15 years old.

I make sure my briskets are very cold (right out of the fridge) and rub them up right before putting them on the smoker...as soon as I fire up the pit...I throw on the meat...gives a killer smoke ring! :p

:confused:

Smoke ring aside, doesn't putting it into the smoker cold shock the meat? I've always read/heard to leave it on the counter for an hour or so before putting it on the heat. (I'll admit, still working on a successful brisket...but haven't failed yet at pastrami - go figure.)

th_060.jpg
th_058.jpg
th_059.jpg

Could someone give me some quick pointers on brisket low and slow advice. Thanks in advance. I will post pictures afterwards good or bad.

Those pits were made for hot and fast..... I remember working and moding back in the day to get the temp down on those... air leaks, what not... LOL, and I had no excuse, learning from workin in Kreuz.

I think there are a few low and slowers still living. :p

I say I am hot and fast but actually I am in the upper middle registers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMVK0-aR2sA

Back