Help with butts

D

Dozer217

I put on 3 butts this morning at 6:45am they were smaller cuts around 4.5lbs each. At 12:50 temps were at 191 - 193 check with 2 thermometers. Could they finish this fast??? Temp stayed around 250.

If your thermos are reading 193-195, I guess it is possible. You might want to foil and let the temp. climb to 200. BTW what are you cooking on?

were these butterflied and boneless? Its possible, if your temps are the same for both...you using the super fast...accurate orange thermapen?

That is small. Is the probe sliding in easy?

Paul

were these butterflied and boneless? Its possible, if your temps are the same for both...you using the super fast...accurate orange thermapen?
`

Very important question right here. I am wondering the same thing.

I often cook 5/lb butts at 250...they never cook at 1hr/lb usually 1.5. Id wrap for an hour or so and take temps again

Probe goes in EASILY. Cooking on an old NB offset, I foiled them and have them shrouded in towel in the cooler at the moment. We're not eating until
7p so I figure I'll check them again in a couple of hours and either put them back on the bbq or in the oven if I need to finish it more.

sounds like they are done...esp if your gonna wrap for a couple. My first was a ND offset. If you were just going by the factory thermo at 250...at grate they could of been 350...esp if they were close to the box. Lots of variables here...let us know how they turn out.

Sorry guys, they are bone in standard Boston's just small. I actually relocated the factory therm down to grate level. I'm going to check them again in a half hour or so.

Sounds fast to me also. If the probe slides in with no resistance though sounds like they are done.

Back on the heat

Okay, I checked them again after an hour in foil and the cooler and the are showing mid 170's. Re-stoked the fire and will be putting them back till done. At this small size could they skip the rest period where they stay at the same temp for an extended period?

I had a similar thing happen. The butts seemed to cook way too fast. The final product wasn't pullable, though. Then I tested my thermometer in boiling water and it read high by 20 degrees or so.

Test your thermometer...

I've got the opposite going on.

I've got a 4.8# BB on the egg, coming up on 12 hrs, and it hasn't broken 185 yet. I ran the egg overnight at 225 (with the BBQ Guru) thinking it would go around 1.75hr/lb and would be ready to cooler when I got up. It had just broken the plateau this morning, so I cranked it up to 250. I think I'll pull it off, foil and cooler when it gets up to around 185-190. We'll see.

On my cooker the dome thermometer temp reading and the grate where the meat is cooking can sometimes be 10-50 degrees apart. Make sure your oven temp and shelf temp are the same.

We did a very flavorful 5 lb butt in 5 hours a few months ago but had the grate temp at close to 350. It was really really good. No foil until into the cooler for an hour then pulled. Ya never know, smoked a 6 lb flat for 15 hours on the UDS a few months ago. You may be right that it is done that quick this time. Nothing is set in stone when doing Q.

Some that small does cook fast if the probe feel like sticking it in butter they done.

Back