MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #16
wiski
Found some matches.

Have you tried the second rack with this set up? does it fit ? I had to get the local dealer to order me one, should get it this week.
wiski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #17
Propfrwrd
Found some matches.

Any worries about voiding the warranty with the notches in the bowl?
Propfrwrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #18
wiski
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propfrwrd View Post
Any worries about voiding the warranty with the notches in the bowl?
If there were any issues i would just bring it back to costco, they would never know. lol

Old 06-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #19
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Hello!

I'm thrilled to see a Vision Kamado thread, I just got one this spring! In Canada the Vision dealer is Canadian Tire and they only sell the Vision Pro, not the Vision Classic. The two smokers are the same size but one of the differences I think is the port for the electric starter in the Pro. I didn't install it so there's that much more room in the charcoal bowl. I used my new smoker for the first time two nights ago in an overnight smoke with an 18# pork shoulder. Was 17 hours and only used about 9# of charcoal which floored me. My cheap COS got 3 to 6 hours of smoking per 16# bag of charcoal depending on the season and weather. I thought the Vision's smoking disc was too small, too, so I put a cookie sheet above the stone resting on the top edge of the firebowl -- under the grill. It was solid and did the trick, I was overjoyed with the finished shoulder. I hear what has been said about the workmanship, some aspects/parts of the kamado look like really good quality (the lips on the upper and lower metal bands that prevent sliding out unlike BGE and Primo), the cover, the calibrated/notched air vents which really help tuning in a temperature, the strength of the stand and just the overall look and feel. What doesn't look as good quality is not all the metal work is precision, I have to pull one of the side table brackets off and bend the metal up a 16th of an inch so the side table can slide into place, I've got three dime-sized outside/body spots where the paint has come off since I brought it home (don't remember anything "getting it") and the metal bands aren't set on as straight/lined-up as they could have been. It's a heck of a lot of kamado for the money, though, with everything you need to smoke already included in the box. I see no need to buy a 'base' accessory to augment my smoker's capability making it good value for the model's base -- not including things like a rib or vertical chicken stand. I'm glad you talked about the charcoal level, Seeker. When you load it up for 15 - 20 hours of smoking do you load up past the highest firebowl holes? I just went up to them on my first smoke with about 35% of a bag of 100% natural low ash hardwood briquettes and found in my 17 hour smoke that I had to top the charcoal up before going to bed. There is still some charcoal left though I haven't checked how much, busy day yesterday. I'd like to be able to load charcoal above the top firebowl holes for a long smoke to get 20 hours, that would be amazing.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #20
wiski
Found some matches.

Default Thank you for the PM

Here are my results thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1229.jpg (76.3 KB, 982 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1230.jpg (57.0 KB, 975 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1231.jpg (86.1 KB, 972 views)

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #21
seeker
Found some matches.

Wiski...nice job on the mod, it looks great!

Kathy's I fill the firebowl up to about an inch past the holes for the 15 to 20hr burn. The first long burn I used Lazarri lump and the pieces are quite large. This allowed the burn to go 15hrs without me touching it. The second 20hr burn I used Royal Oak which has smaller pieces and I had to wiggle the holes once during the burn to clear them of ash. But even after the 20hrs I still had some lump left.

I have found it key to put large chunks together on the grate then fill the area around them with medium chunks followed by the small stuff to finish off your pile. I'm not sure how well it would've worked out to just dump the charcoal in and fire it up. I also start the burn with only about a fist size ball of lit charcoal placed right in the center of the pile.
seeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #22
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker View Post
Wiski...nice job on the mod, it looks great!

Kathy's I fill the firebowl up to about an inch past the holes for the 15 to 20hr burn. The first long burn I used Lazarri lump and the pieces are quite large. This allowed the burn to go 15hrs without me touching it. The second 20hr burn I used Royal Oak which has smaller pieces and I had to wiggle the holes once during the burn to clear them of ash. But even after the 20hrs I still had some lump left.

I have found it key to put large chunks together on the grate then fill the area around them with medium chunks followed by the small stuff to finish off your pile. I'm not sure how well it would've worked out to just dump the charcoal in and fire it up. I also start the burn with only about a fist size ball of lit charcoal placed right in the center of the pile.
Hey, Seeker, thanks for the charcoal tip.

I used the cooker for the second time on Friday for the "with bacon" throwdown. Because my entry took up less room than the included smoking plate I decided not to put the cookie sheet underneath. That was a mistake. It's true, the included plate lets too much heat past, I got quite a bit of uneven cooking between the edge of the plate and the middle of the plate. I'm thinking I will find a round, larger metal pan with short sides that can collect fat/juices and protect what's cooking on the edge. Not wide enough to choke off the heat and not too small so that it's useless.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #23
azloon
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Ordered mine...Thx.

Seeker......Thanks for posting your setup. I just picked up a Vision @ Costco last week. Ordered Kamado Joe heat diffuser plate along with some Wicked Good Lump from Ace. Thanks Again.

Art
azloon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #24
Karjar
Got rid of the matchlight.

Hey Seeker, what type of bit did you use to Dremel the notches? Big radius grinding stone?
Thanks
Jevv
Karjar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #25
seeker
Found some matches.

Karjar,
I used a 1/8" carbide burr to rough the grooves out with then a standard garnet grinding wheel a little over 1/2" in diameter. You should be able to find the supplies at any Lowes or home depot.

The carbide works very well removing the ceramic and the garnet wheel will do fine getting you to a clean finished and uniform size.
seeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #26
Karjar

Thanks, will get right on mine.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #27
Socks
Knows what a fatty is.

Any input from other Vision owners on whether this is the right choice? I've seen a lot of workarounds posted, seems like we should try to come to a consensus. This does seem like an easy/elegant solution.

For my first indirect setup I wrapped one of those round pizza pans that are full of holes with foil a few times, then used 3 wire hooks to suspend it below the bottom grate in my Vision Classic. Seemed to work fine, but it was really difficult to add charcoal or tend to the coals once the meat was on. In fact my fire went out 5 degrees short of my goal and I just gave up since it was close enough.

I was thinking next time I'd just put it on the lower grate rather than hanging it below. Also I had much less space around the edges of the pizza pan and the fire bowl than I see in your pictures.

Is the spacing around the stone optimal in Seeker's photos, or too much?

Also is it perhaps too close to the meat, as it gives off radiant heat?

One guy I read cut off the handle of a 13" Lodge cast iron frying pan to use as a deflector. Also people have bought BGE plate setters for use in a Vision as well.
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #28
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks View Post
Any input from other Vision owners on whether this is the right choice? I've seen a lot of workarounds posted, seems like we should try to come to a consensus. This does seem like an easy/elegant solution.

For my first indirect setup I wrapped one of those round pizza pans that are full of holes with foil a few times, then used 3 wire hooks to suspend it below the bottom grate in my Vision Classic. Seemed to work fine, but it was really difficult to add charcoal or tend to the coals once the meat was on. In fact my fire went out 5 degrees short of my goal and I just gave up since it was close enough.

I was thinking next time I'd just put it on the lower grate rather than hanging it below. Also I had much less space around the edges of the pizza pan and the fire bowl than I see in your pictures.

Is the spacing around the stone optimal in Seeker's photos, or too much?

Also is it perhaps too close to the meat, as it gives off radiant heat?

One guy I read cut off the handle of a 13" Lodge cast iron frying pan to use as a deflector. Also people have bought BGE plate setters for use in a Vision as well.
Hey there,

Just joined this awesome forum. I own a Vision Pro and after reading and reviewing all the options for a heat deflector honestly I think the KJ heat deflector is the best option out there for our grills for the time being. I ordered the KJ deflector yesterday and waiting for it to be shipped. I'll keep you all posted with my experience with it but Seeker has pretty much covered it all and I just don't think you can go wrong. FYI, Ace has it now for $50 plus there is a $10 off promo so I picked it up for $40 if anyone wants one (at least here in the states).
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #29
bbqhokie
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Hey guys - I'm new here and this is my first post! First off thanks to seeker and wiski for the pics and info! I've got the Vision Kamado as well and was looking for a way to do low and slow. Question for both of you guys... are the notches you made in the firebowl absolutely necessary? I'm assuming no, but how stable is the rig then without it?

Also, the Ace Hardware link in this thread for the deflector doesn't seem to be showing anything anymore. Can anyone confirm if this is the one I want (found on Amazon)?

bbqhokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #30
Karjar

I'm still using mine without the notches because I just haven't got around to it. It works just fine. I did do a beer can chicken and found the rack sat too high. I thought I would try using the KJ deflector with the cross braces that came with the lava stone on my vision pro. Worked great. Still enough room for heat to get around and the vision pro grill sat on top of the firebox as it should..

I do like using the KJ rack for pizza and slow cooking though.

Jeff