MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #61
rescue_ranger
Full Fledged Farker

I like to use the Kingsford comp charcoal but I also love the ole blue I have often wondered about the two different styles but never had the gumption to do the test you did and I am sure I would not have gone into as much detail as you have, so Thanks for the hard work and great information it seeing tidbits like this only reminds me why I joined up and love this site so much
Thanks Again
RR
[I]2 - [COLOR=blue][B]Char-Griller [/B][/COLOR][I][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]Professional[/B][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I]With offset[/I]
[I]2 -[B][COLOR=darkorange]Gold[/COLOR][/B] [/I][B]Weber 22 1/2" kettle, with therm- sear grate, ash can[/B]
[I]1 - [B]200gal[/B] smoker[/I]
[COLOR=green][B]Rescue_ranger[/B][/COLOR] also known by my fellow [COLOR=red][B]USMC[/B][/COLOR] clan as G-Bear :boxing:
rescue_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #62
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

Awesome work sir. Very useful info. The only other thing I might add is, if any of you think you can do a better study, step up and do your own 20 hour experiment!!!
pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #63
dave32063
Full Fledged Farker

You engineers kill me. I wish I had the patience/intelligence to study a product like this. Thanks for the great info.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #64
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Yeah, but did you zero out the scale for the tare weight of the pie tin?
Of course!

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #65
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

Binder used might explain the weight difference, i.e. clay, cornstarch, etc. That, along with the ratio of lump vs filler, would also explain the temp diff because of the amount of filler used to form the briq. I was wondering if anyone has experienced a flavor profile change between the two on a long burn?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #66
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Interesting test. Thanks for the info. In case others were not aware, here is another comparison of Blue and competition from a site which normally tests lump, and included Wicked Good natural briqs as well. Of note, I'm not sure if their findings are in line with yours on burn time, either on a smokey joe or on a BGE. Not calling either test wrong, just different.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2011, 09:16 PM   #67
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Yup, no worries.

John

Old 01-31-2011, 09:25 PM   #68
leanza
Babbling Farker

More than grateful for your hard work and effort in presenting your observations. It helps us better understand and choose our products accordingly.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #69
BB_brew
Found some matches.

I am an engineer also. Wonderful job.
BB_brew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #70
keale
Babbling Farker

Bump!
Just a heads up, Its the last day at my Home Depot to buy Kingsford Reg. (2.20#) on sale, (my price is 12.99) Costco has Kingsford comp. with a 3.50 discount ends 4/3/2011

Thanks again Jon for the review.
Weber Performer (169.00/brand new mod.)
Weber Handles from www.amlwoodart.com
UDS
22.5" Weber kettle, (refuse collector mod.)
18" Weber kettle (almost new craigslist $20 mod)

"crest of a breaking wave" thats my name...
keale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #71
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

No problem.

The Costco two-packs are new larger 18-lb bags.

John