MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Default Jamaican Patties

I promised my daughter a batch of patties for her birthday so I am making them today. I am posting this in Q-Talk because the last time I made them I used left over chuckie and they were great!!! Today's batch is made with fresh ground chuck. Jamaicans also make them with chicken and fish (or what ever they have.

They are a pain to make but oh so good and spicy!!!

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

Jamaican Patties.doc

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
DeezQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I have heard they are great. Some folks I work with have had them but I never have. Do you make your own dough.?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Backwoods Extended Party, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]UDS, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Weber Kettle 22.5 (x 2), [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Gasser, Orion Cooker, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]24x48 Custom Griller, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Turkey Fryer x 2, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Small BGE, ECB, Char Broil Double Chef[/FONT]
DeezQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
gunrunner2491
On the road to being a farker

Looks like a decent recipe, but I have never used tumeric before or seen it sold. I am going to look harder and try the recipe. Thanks
gunrunner2491 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
DeezQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I didn't see the recipe link. Thanks.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Backwoods Extended Party, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]UDS, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Weber Kettle 22.5 (x 2), [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Gasser, Orion Cooker, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]24x48 Custom Griller, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Turkey Fryer x 2, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Small BGE, ECB, Char Broil Double Chef[/FONT]
DeezQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

Those look outstanding!

Turmeric is often used to add color (for instance in rice dishes) to substitute for saffron, which is much more expensive and has a more 'exotic' flavor. Turmeric isn't without flavor, it's just not as developed and fragrant as saffron.

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
91vw03
Full Fledged Farker

Those sound like the Empanadas I learned to make from a Columbian friend of mine.

Only I used corn flour or meal instead of regular flour. And fried them.
91vw03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrunner2491 View Post
Looks like a decent recipe, but I have never used tumeric before or seen it sold. I am going to look harder and try the recipe. Thanks
Turmeric, common in jerk and curry recipes. Turns stuff yellow.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #8
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardchef View Post
Those look outstanding!

Turmeric is often used to add color (for instance in rice dishes) to substitute for saffron, which is much more expensive and has a more 'exotic' flavor. Turmeric isn't without flavor, it's just not as developed and fragrant as saffron.
OK, I'm slow. Good description Matt.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #9
keale
Babbling Farker

Brent, those look delicious! Show us the inside! and I also couldn't read the link...I don't have "office" at home...
Weber Performer (169.00/brand new mod.)
Weber Handles from www.amlwoodart.com
UDS
22.5" Weber kettle, (refuse collector mod.)
18" Weber kettle (almost new craigslist $20 mod)

"crest of a breaking wave" thats my name...
keale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #10
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
OK, I'm slow. Good description Matt.
Yours was more to the point....

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2007, 04:06 PM   #11
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

yah mon! i'd be all about those!

show us the innards!

i had some of those from a stand on the beach in negril, jamaica with some pick-a-pepper sauce and a red stripe. righteous!
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Sorry guys... I just made the second batch and can't show the insides before you fold them... It is kind of non descript anyway. After they are cooked it just kind of looks like ground beef... but as you can see from the recipe there is a lot of bread crumbs in there.

I do make the dough.... Now I make a double batch of dough. That seems to be about right for the amount of filling (I just changed that in the recipe). They freeze great!!! My kids will take one out of the freezer, wrap it in a paper towel, put it in a baggie, and take them to school for a snack.

BTW... I got this recipe offline several years ago. Then I was dating a Jamaican lady (hotter than the patties) and she said they were good but not quite what she remembered. We called her grandmother who now lives in Canada and she walked me through a few changes in the recipe. The next batch I made she said were as good as any she had ever had in Jamaica!!! Kinda made me proud.

For anyone, including my man Keale, who don't have Word... here is the recipe:

Jamaican Patties

Pastry
4 cups flour
¾ cups salted butter – cold
3 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp baking powder
1 – 1 ½ cups very cold water

Filling
2 medium onions
3 scallions including tops
1-2 hot peppers preferably habeneros seeded (2 will make them plenty spicy)
1 ½ lbs lean ground beef (you can substitute pork or fish)
2 tsp oil
5 cups fresh breadcrumbs
1 tsp ground turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste
¾ - 1 cup water

To make the pastry, sift together the flour, baking powder, turmeric, salt, and sugar. Slice the butter into pat size pieces. Cut the butter into the flour using a pastry blender or a fork until the flour has the consistency of cornmeal. Gradually add just enough cold water to hold the dough together, mixing it with your fingers or a dough hook. The key, however, is to never overwork your dough! You want the dough to be kind of dry and barely holding together.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours and up to overnight (this is important... I can't tell you why). You will need to take the dough out about 15 minutes before you are going to use it to let it warm up.

To prepare the filling, mince the onions, scallions, in a food processor, or chop very finely by hand. Add to the ground beef and mix well. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or a LARGE skillet. Then cook the meat until it is just brown – about 10 minutes. Add the breadcrumbs and seasonings and stir well. Add the water, cover, and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes. You may need to uncover as needed to evaporate excess moisture. You want the mixture just wet, not runny or dry. Allow to cool while you roll out the pastry.

Divide the dough into about 8 even sized pieces. On a lightly floured surface roll out each piece of dough to thickness of about 1/8 of an inch (a little thicker than pie dough and cut into circles of about 4 inches (I use a big plastic cup for this). Keep the pastry dough circles moist by stacking and covering with a damp cloth. After all the circles are cut take one at a time and spoon enough of the filling to cover about half of the circle. Fold the other half over and seal the edges by crimping with a fork. (I find they are easiest to fold if I kind of press the filling in with my thumbs as I fold the top over with my index fingers).
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake the patties on ungreased cookie sheets for 30 to 35 minutes. Serve hot when possible. However, Jamaicans will eat them any way they can!!

Yeilds about 24 patties

NOTE: I have made this a bunch of times and now make a double batch of dough. That is about right for the amount of filling.

UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ

Old 07-06-2007, 04:36 PM   #13
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

Gator thanks for the recipe

An old girlfriend used to make these for me man some good stuff
22" WSM
Backwoods Chubby

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

i was kinda hoping for a photo of one of those with a big ole bite outta it sittin next to a red stripe....

oh well... a guy can dream i reckon
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #15
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post
i was kinda hoping for a photo of one of those with a big ole bite outta it sittin next to a red stripe....

oh well... a guy can dream i reckon
LOL... Well, the next batch isn't going into the oven for a little while because I want them hot when the wife gets home... I will post a pic with a bit taken out along with some pigeon peas and rice but no Red Stripe. I've already started on the Absolut Ruby Red and aint backin down!!!

UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ