MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Houston Livestock Rodeo/BBQ -- 2010 Report

Wow, what an event.

If you've never been, try to go. This is one of the "big four" as I call them. Jack Daniels Invitational, Memphis in May, American Royal and HLSR. Now, I've been to all four.

First, I have to get a shoutout to Carl Triota for inviting me to join his group. This man is an exceptional guy and if you get the chance to meet him, you've made a friend for life. Thanks Carl, you treated me like one of your crew and I had a LOT of fun.

Overall, there are 300+ sites which get purchased by teams and they they build these AMAZING booths and then it's one LONG party until late Saturday. I'll post some photos below.

If you've been to the darkside at the Royal or MiM, you'll know the kind of booths and partying going on.
HLSR is a unique contest, that sort of uses IBCA rules, with some LSBS rules thrown in.

We had a lot of fun getting the official word, but we did find out that chicken could be parted into individual pieces with enough for 6 judges.

Entries could be chicken, ribs or brisket.

The number of entries you have is based upon how many sites your team has.

For 2010, there were:

119 Brisket Entries
168 Rib Entries
107 Chicken Entries

DAMNIFINO owned four spots, so we got four entries. DAMNIFINO was one of the four original teams:

Here's the four "official" head cooks (each entry gets one head cook with the rest of us supporting cast)

L to R: Michael (Carl's son, Carl, Bradon, some other guy)

Went down for set-up day on Wed. There's basically a front and back half of this team site. Front is for the partying and drinking (full service bar) and the back is where the work happens.

So Thursday, Friday, Saturday Carl's group provided food each night. The MOST important thing to know is that this team is LEGEND amoung the HLSR crowd. As any of the movers and shakers and they'll tell you that you have to stop by this team for one thing

Fried ribs

Brentt, Carl's other son is the master chef behind this. As Brent describes them, "Pork Chops on a stick". Tasty stuff. I'll definitely do this for a group some time, they were addictive (and the fact my seat was sitting next to a full pan of them helped)

Here are some team sites. I didn't take a lot of shots inside, for SOME reason they didn't want me shooting photos of their parties... LOL

All in all, a great time, great party, great event. I think I'll be invited next year to judge, they asked if I wanted to and I said yes.

Russ
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great pics!
Gotta be a great time for all.
I hope to make it one of these years.
Thanks for posting.

(used to go to the Rodeo every year as a kid...)
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Wow!! Very nice. Hard to believe those are just temp building set ups. Looks like a great time. Thanks for sharing.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Great story and pics Russ. I have been lucky enough to be down there on a few occasions and agree on the top four. Glad you were able to go and good luck this year. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

holy fark batman!!! those are just booths that get set up and torn down??? there AWESOME!!!!
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Great pics Russ. We came by to say hi Friday night but you had gone to the hotel.

I'd highly recommend judging. It was a real treat.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all I can say about such massive sites!

Thanks Russ

TIM

Old 03-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I fry my ribs after smoking them. Looks like he was doing them raw. Its that what he did?

Old 03-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #9
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
I fry my ribs after smoking them. Looks like he was doing them raw. Its that what he did?
Yes, he actually provided his recipe to a "cook book" for the rodeo, I'll get the exact recipe, but basically slice the ribs, season with rub, roll in cornmeal/flower/fishfry the fry.

I have some more photos, I'll post the recipe in a new thread.

sorry we missed you Ray, Friday was wet, cold and I had to be back on site early sat for the comp. We'll catch you down the road.
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
topchefvt52
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the great AAR Smokin'. Brought back memories from my visit 10 years ago.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #11
3 Rivers BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I need to put this on my vacation destination list.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Rivers BBQ View Post
I need to put this on my vacation destination list.
Don't go without an invite. They're easy enough to get ahead of time though.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
thomasjurisd
Full Fledged Farker

Great pics! My wife and I go every year. This year we went to Those Texas (in one of your pics) and the Cayenne Social Club. I had wrist bands for the Goodie Girls but left them in the truck :( Anyway, Great time, Great Party, Great BBQ. One thing I will add. Some teams treat this thing as a real BBQ contest, some are just there to party, some do both. For the teams more there for the party, they BBQ enough fo the competition and samples for guests but have the BBQ meal (which is served to guests) catered by a chain. For example, Those Texans has it catered (for the past several years anyway) by a place her in Houston called Demeris BBQ. In contrast, the Cayenne Social Club cooks everything they serve. When you consider that they'll serve somewhere on the order of 300+ people in a night a full plate of BBQ...that's a big undertaking!
thomasjurisd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Houston is unique. I usually describe it to folks that haven't been as a cross between MIM and Mardi Gras on steroids.

This is the first year I've spent any time there in several years. The parties have continued to get bigger, and better and I think the cooks have as well.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote