MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
aHughJassDude
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Question Pellets vs. Logs, A Taste Difference?

Hey guys, so I was talking with a buddy over at Pelletheads.com and we were talking about the differences between pellets and logs in the pit. Do you think there is a definite taste difference in between pellets and logs or are they going to have basically the same flavor?
aHughJassDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

yes , I can tell the difference when I use my Treager vs the UDS , but its not enough for me to not use the Treager as my primary cooker
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aHughJassDude View Post
Hey guys, so I was talking with a buddy over at Pelletheads.com and we were talking about the differences between pellets and logs in the pit. Do you think there is a definite taste difference in between pellets and logs or are they going to have basically the same flavor?
If you are referring to logs as in a stick burner, yes there will be a difference. A stick burner is fueled by a steady fire by burning logs. A pellet smoker is a more efficient burner where an electrical element ignites the pellets as they are needed.

The amount of pellets vs the amount of wood that is burned to cook the food varies greatly. The cooking process is different and so will the taste be different in some aspects. It all relates to smoke + controlled heat over a period of time to produce the end result. There are many variables that can change to produce desired results.

This doesn't mean the pellet burner won't produce good BBQ, in fact many pros use pellet cookers because they are consistent with their results.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

You will get a smokier flavor at any temperature burning sticks. Pellets lose smoke flavor the hotter you cook. Pellet grills are great, but lower on the smoke flavor spectrum.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
]A pellet smoker is a more efficient burner where an electrical element ignites the pellets as they are needed.
This is not the case. The igniter is only on for 5 minutes at the very beginning. It is not on after that. The fire in a pellet cooker is 100% wood, no electrical assist past the initial lighting.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

If you like a heavy smoke flavor, don't go with pellets. Other than that they are great
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
This is not the case. The igniter is only on for 5 minutes at the very beginning. It is not on after that. The fire in a pellet cooker is 100% wood, no electrical assist past the initial lighting.
Ron is correct as usual, but I think the other intent of the post is also accurate. Pellets burn "cleaner" IE: more efficiently with the direct air flow from the fans the pellet's firebox uses which results in less smoke than a stickburner's smoldering logs.

That said, one can use plenty of other methods in a pellet cooker to achieve a very intense smoky flavor. I modified my FEC-100 to have a grate of exapanded metal right next to the firebox that I place chunks of the wood flavor of choice to enhance the pellet smoke coming from their combustion.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Would putting a a-maze-n pellet smoking tube or tray at the bottom of the pellet cooker bump up the smoke closer to a stick burner?
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Sure. Or even just use a small cast iron pan with a hanful of pellets or a foil pouch full of pellets or wood-chips. There are lots of options...
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
Would putting a a-maze-n pellet smoking tube or tray at the bottom of the pellet cooker bump up the smoke closer to a stick burner?
Some have noticed results this way; I have not.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
porkingINpublic
is one Smokin' Farker

It's not like you won't get smoke flavor using a pellet. I get a smoke ring on my burgers when I use the traeger...

With all of the foiling we do now its not a big difference.... We foil buts a little later to develop a "better" bark. We can cook a brisket straight through with no wrap and its perfect, not over smoked.

Tags
differences, flavor, logs, Pellets, taste