• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

St. Louis University Area BBQ Joints

Bill-Chicago

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Ma
I'll be in St Louis in about 7 hours for a few days.

Hitting Pappy's and Dixon's this trip, both within walking distance of SLU

Any St Louis folks have any comments and or want to meat up?

Yes, I've been to Sugar Fire and a couple others and I am not expecting the same.

I have 4 years to explore your BBQ scene and meat up with you all.

And yes, I need to give more advance notice.

I will be back 8/23-8/26 as well :-o

I'm heading to St. Louis tomorrow for the weekend. Last time I was there I went to Sugar Fire and Pappys. I'll have to try to get by Dixons while I'm there

I never got to Dixon's.

Correction: On Friday morning, I walked over to see how far it was from my kids dorm. Prolly 100 yards or so, so I hope to hit it up in August when there next.

Should ask Ron to change title name to Mid Town St Louis BBQ spots.

Really enjoyed checking out the 5 huge pits cranking away right out front of Pappys. Pretty smart the way they have changed the front of the house to the "show", and you enter in the back.

When the guy comes with the cart and unloads 20 racks of ribs, everyone's eyes light up.

Plenty of Cardinals fans as there was a Cards Brewers game which I believe is about 3 miles east of the Pappy's I was at.

We did Sugar Fire last time.

On my list still are both the old and the new, even if they are "known" to have fallen off:
- Gates
- Bandana's
- Jack's Stack
- Hendrick's
- Lil Mickey's
- Bogarts
- Super Smokers

and many more.

I will be in St Louis multiple times a year for the next 4 years or so while my kid's at SLU

Have a similar list for Micro brewers there. Urban Chestnut, Four Hands, and Shafley checked off this last time around.

Oh, I almost forgot, back in 2015, the Pappy's folks (similar to BBQ Supply here in Chicago) branched out into the Nashville Hot Chicken arena.

Right next to Pappys, sharing a common wall and possibly terlets, was Southern Hot Chicken.

I want to hit this place early and often next time I'm in town

https://www.stlsouthern.com/

I was at Pappy's again this weekend. Actually spoke to Pappy for a few minutes and he thanked us for making the trip from Chicago.

It was kinda weird because when he came out from the kitchen (this was late afternoon pre dinner hour as we spent the day farking around at City Museum building an appetite) he was chatting up the line and my daughter and I noted that it was strange to see a man floating in mid air, and then see shoes following him around.

My new bride an step daughter just looked at us and rolled their eyes.

Later on, we found out he had camo pants on and that's why we didn't see his legs.

Anyway, we were downtown at the arch later that evening and heading back to SLU when we noticed there was another Sugarfire location just north of the downtown area on Washington street.

Anyone ever try that and how does it compare to the Olivette location?

And that City Museum is a mind fark and was a great time. Highly recommend that.

I don't know Bill as the SIL is just now learning BBQ! Dang, he grew up there and does not have a clue...yet. I'm trying to bring him along slowly but what with him being an engineer and all I expect it to take a little longer. :tsk:

Soulard is not in the immediate MidTown area like SLU, but at just 9 minutes away, Bogarts Smokehouse now is in our rotation when I'm visiting.

Daughter loved it as well and she'll work it into her rotation with her friends.

I had a half brisket half tri tip sandwich with beans and pickles for sides.

Very tasty.

Attachments

• Bogart1.jpg
    Bogart1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Bogart2.jpg
    Bogart2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Neat!!
I just saw this thread for the first time. Seems it's an ongoing thing.
Rock on man. Maybe you, me, and the STL guys can converge sometime!

Hey Bill (and others),
Any updates? I'm going to be downtown next to the convention center until Thursday. I see Sugarfire is a block away, but others are a bit of a hike (I don't have a car and like to walk). I figured I'd do Bogart's and Pappy's. Anything recent you'd recommend? Did anyone get to Dixon's?

Still not sure if Dixon's is actually in business anymore, but I've been there a bit early (before 11am).

Although Pappy's might look like its walking distance (probably 2.# miles), you'd be walking through a bit of a rough area.

Bogarts is a walk under the expressways into Soulard (sp) neighborhood. I'd Uber to both of them.

The downtown Sugar Fire (on Washington, I think) is not one of the locations I've gone to so I'm not sure if there is consistency issues among the locations.

Not really new intel, but just some additional data points for you.

I'll be down there 9/29 if your convention runs long :)

Sorry Bill, I hit Sugarfire the first night. I had ribs. They were good. For lunch one day I ate at Bogart's. Had ribs and burnt ends. These were a step above Sugarfire. The burnt ends wasn't at all what I had as burnt ends before. They were sliced up point. There was no sauce. They were darn good. Another lunch I ended up at Pappy's. I ordered ribs and burnt ends again. The ribs were a bit better than Bogart's. The primary issue with the ribs is the sweetness. All the ribs I had were extremely sweet. I figured this was the style. Sugarfire ribs were not as well cooked as the others. Bogart's were extremely well cooked. Pappy's also, but Pappy's were a bit more complex flavorwise. I enjoyed the complexity. The burnt ends at Pappy's were just pulled point. It was darn good, and again, not at all what I expected. I rate Bogart's a bit higher than Pappy's here. My friend with me had sliced flat at Bogart's and Pappy's. He enjoyed them both, but liked Pappy's best. I have pics I should post, but I left St. Louis for home on Thursday afternoon and left home for Korea on Friday morning. It's a long flight, and need to try to get back to sleep now. They might have to wait a week til I get back.

Cool.
Overall, it sounds like you got your monies worth, at least. Maybe more?
Safe travels.

Thanks Bob, it definitely was worthwhile. For me it was very interesting as there was a definite style to the bbq that I had in St. Louis, sweet. I like that. The ribs I had all had a very distinct flavor that was different from anything else I had anywhere. I was also illuminated about burnt ends there. I've had burnt ends in many places that were similar to the faux burnt ends we make from sliced point. These were not like that at all. It was just sliced point, like what we would get in Texas, or pulled point, which I've only had at a few other restaurants around the country. It is something I thoroughly enjoy. It's just getting the terminology....

I don't envy you with the Korea trip. Did that to Seoul earlier this year, about 13.5 hours from Chicago.

4.5 hours more after that to Manilla.

Trip there was fine, but the trip home took forever.

What airlines you fly? I flew Asiana and it was roomier than expected, but 13 hours is still a haul.

I think the ride there was easier as it was midnight and we ended up with 2 dinners served. I could eat Bibimbap all day long.

Ever since, our family has also been using "care-fur" in our daily Lexicon as the stewardess' all would say that as they poured your tea.

Safe travels Al.

Searched high and low for Gore but could not find him.

But my daughter and I were able to knock another BBQ spot off our list on a recommendation from this group.

Salt & Smoke in the Delmar Loop. First visit, won't be our last. Brisket moved out in front of Pappys for me, and ribs did so as well for my daughter. Still preferred the pulled pork from Pappys and SugarFire, but Salt and Smoke has a menu I'm looking forward to exploring.

Was there last Saturday and gained 5# in under 12 hours.
Garlic beef fat fries were not my thing but daughter loved them. Popover was neat, different, but just a filler. Brisket was barktacular and killer. Brisket chili was good too.

Attachments

• Salt Smoke Brisket.jpg
    Salt Smoke Brisket.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Salt Smoke Menu.jpg
    Salt Smoke Menu.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 39
Back