MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

Well now I am stumped...closed the door and burned clean for over an hr. Added more charcoal and it started to do it again....also noticed some white smoke coming from the back of the cooking chamber just above the firebox hole....
dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #17
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

I just spoke to Jeff over at Assassin Smokers (great guy). I just sent him over some pics of the firebox so I guess we will see what he says. More or less just posting to praise them for their customer service. Best I have come across hands down.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #18
BeaglesBBQ
On the road to being a farker

I have had the same problem in the past, kinda smells like burning plastic/chemicals. Happens on my cooker when I run hot. I have cleaned, inspected welds, tried different wood etc... still no solution. I now just leave my firebox door open when cooking hot and that seems to put a band-aid on it. However i would like a real solution as well.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #19
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaglesBBQ View Post
I have had the same problem in the past, kinda smells like burning plastic/chemicals. Happens on my cooker when I run hot. I have cleaned, inspected welds, tried different wood etc... still no solution. I now just leave my firebox door open when cooking hot and that seems to put a band-aid on it. However i would like a real solution as well.
Exactly. I noticed that if I don't fill the charcoal very high in the chute it burns okay. Once I add a couple more lbs it's started back up. I am burning ozark oak too which is burns clean with zero smoker at all.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #20
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i had that happen once in my wsm. couldn't understand it. so i killed the fire and started over again. did you change bags and it still did that ?
if lump you cannot just pour in a bag. you got to go through it as lump can and will have pieces of junk/plastic/insulation in it.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #21
Wyley
On the road to being a farker

I wonder if in one of the bags that you may have just dumped in there was some plastic or insulation that has melted in your chute that you just can't see. Might be worth trying some kind of chimney cleaning device while it's hot to see if that helps or a wire brush rigged up on a long shaft of some kind that you can use with a drill.
Wyley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #22
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyley View Post
I wonder if in one of the bags that you may have just dumped in there was some plastic or insulation that has melted in your chute that you just can't see. Might be worth trying some kind of chimney cleaning device while it's hot to see if that helps or a wire brush rigged up on a long shaft of some kind that you can use with a drill.
I took pics up and down the chute and it looks pretty clean....also tried 3 different kinds of charcoal...same results.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #23
padge31
Full Fledged Farker

Have you heard anything back from assassin smokers?
padge31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #24
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by padge31 View Post
Have you heard anything back from assassin smokers?
Yup, talked to Jeff yesterday (good guy). He's not sure what could be producing the bad smoke/smell but I am going to burn on it this weekend and take pics if it happens again. He is sending me shims for the firebox door to help with the seal. I got one of the first ones at it looks like after a while the back of the chute warps just a bit on the outside...Not a big deal at all but the shims will help to seal it a bit more.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #25
padge31
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Dano have you figured anything out about the chemical smell?
padge31 is offline   Reply With Quote