MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
blackdogbbq21
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Paul
Default Meat ratios

I may be cooking for a larger party than I've ever cooked for. I know a rule of thumb for meat per person is typically 1/2 to 2/3rd pound per person.

Thinking about doing brisket, pulled pork and spareribs. I'd have guests come up to the block and have a cutter slicing meats. Just curious if anyone has found a good ratio of how much of each meat to have per guest with those options. I think having a full 2/3rd pound per person of each meat would be too much but I'd hate to run out of any one option too quickly.

There will be 3-4 side options as well.

thanks
blackdogbbq21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

If you have a half pound (cooked weight) per person TOTAL of meat, you'll be fine.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with Joel. Many will take less than a 1/2 pound with an ample amount of side dishes available. This will offset those who might go back for seconds. Always place the carving station at the end of the buffet line.

Also keep in mind that people ALWAYS tend to overfill their plates with more than they can eat. Use a smaller 8" plate and prevent excessive waste, they can always go back for seconds.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-09-2019, 07:24 PM   #4
guero_gordo
is one Smokin' Farker

My own family aside, most suggestions I've seen are in the 1/4-1/3# range. Just make sure the sides go out before you let the animals at the meat, or they will descend like locusts and your ratio won't mean anything.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

i know it can be scary, but the suggestion above of 1/4 to a 1/3 is actually right in line with my experience of routinely cooking for crowds ranging to 60-200 people.

and honestly, closer to 1/4 per person is really a bit more accurate when you have lots of sides......BUT, i would always rather have too much than too little, so I typically settle on the 1/3 pound of finished meat per person for these events.

and that assumption is made on the belief that the mix will be male and female and "normal" eaters......in other words, if you are cooking for a high school football team then 1/2 pound of better would be more in line......so you got to know your room, so to speak.
Gateway 55G Drum
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote