MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:00 PM   #1
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tatoosh
Default Apartment Limits - Smoking W/Q200

So I live in an apartment complex with strict no wood/charcoal rule. Electric or Propane are the only acceptable "grilling" approaches. So, fine I'll "grill" with propane while inadvertently smoking some ribs. Heh heh! Made up a few pouches of hickory/apple chips, got the old Weber Q200 (CraigsList score) going. Set on high then dialed down to medium low. I had bought a griddle for the Q200 and am using it as heat shield for the ribs so they are not exposed to direct flame.

The pouch(es) sit on the grill, a few inches above the flame, smoking away, similar to smoking on a Weber Kettle with chips. It is a cool windy day, so the smoke gets moved out fairly quick, good for stealth smoking. Even if I have to move the ribs into the kitchen oven to finish, at least they will have some real hickory tickling them along the way!

Next time I will mix a few pieces of charcoal in the foil packet to at least give the meat a hint of the charcoal flavor my wife loves.

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-06-2019, 09:32 PM   #2
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Default Weber Q200 stealth smoker

We have a bit of smoke ... 2nd pouch on after 45 minutes.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-06-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:05 PM   #4
KB BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

I was in the same boat as you and bought the same grill. Then I decided that BBQ should be a God given right to all Americans and I moved out of that restrictive environment. Freedom at last.. freedom at last! I hope you are able to get away from that too, but until then, kudos to you for improvising.
4 WSM's 1 WGA and stuff to make Fire & Smoke

KB BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Second go at ribs on the Propane Weber Q200. A bit of Philippine joy at the table too. Pork ribs, homemade rub, Smoking Okey's BBQ sauce, even a bit of banana ketchup in there too. And the infamous San Miq to wash it down. Hoorah! Life is good!

Old 04-07-2019, 09:56 PM   #6
4ever3

Those ribs look fantastic!

Way to use yer noggin!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2019, 12:24 AM   #7
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

I used to live in an apartment some years ago. The fire code said something like "No fires/open flames within 20 feet of a building". So the guys would stand in the middle of the parking lot with their Kettles and grill. Not uncommon to come home at night and more than one guy in the middle of the parking lot grilling.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #8
D&D BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Did you check on whether pellet poopers are allowed? I would think you might be able to sell it as an “electric” smoker since it has to be plugged in.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #9
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Very Nice Nice looking bones
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #10
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks guys!

Appreciate your kind comments and thumbs up, SmittyJonz, Big_George's_BBQ, and everyone else as well!

KB_BBQ: Yes, we have plans for our own place as soon as we can. Probably a year or so away. A covered deck with a BBQ area is definitely part of the dream!

Rockinar: I can understand that. Up here in the Northwest, we get a lot of liquid sunshine, so our "out in the open" grill time can be limited, at least until summer arrives in it's full glory.

D&D_BBQ: I'm pretty sure the Pellet Poopers are not allowed, since they are wood based. Yes, I know, the smoke from the pouches would technically violate the spirit of their restrictions, but like I said, I'm pretty stealth oriented at the moment.

I'm not much into the Pellet Path, to be honest. I brought a couple of bags of pellets over to the Philippines when I was living there. They never gave me the smoke flavor that chips and chunks did. So while I think they are great as a heat source and for secondary "wood combustion" flavor, they are not on my as a primary player.

The wife wants a Weber charcoal setup, probably a Summit, since she wants something with hinged lids. (Yes I know about the aftermarket hinges for the Weber Kettles and are the next choice if budget is tight.) But she's pretty happy with the flavor we are turning out on the little Q200. And she loves the convenience of propane. So a larger propane smoker will be investigated as well when the day comes we have our own roof over our heads.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #11
EricD
is One Chatty Farker

https://www.lowes.com/pd/weber-origi...SABEgKXsvD_BwE
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, The Big Easy, Anova Immersion Cooker, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotisserie, Infrared temp gun, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #12
DBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Well done Tatoosh! Great beer choice! Loved liberty in PI, and enjoy the county you live in when I go skiing at Mt Baker!
DBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #13
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

Oh man do I remember those days. I had a brand new Sun Beam gasser. It was a gift and I had it on my balcony. I knew the rules and didn't use it. It didn't even have a propane tank. I was just keeping it out there because I had nowhere else to put it. The landlord wasn't having it. Get rid of it or get evicted. NO grills on a balcony. It was a cheap grill but it still makes me mad. We closed on our first home a month later. That son of a...
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2019, 11:58 PM   #14
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

You sure did well, brother. Adapt and overcome.

I'd love to hit those bones, and wash 'em down with a San Mig, to boot!

Keep 'em straight out West. Looks like you're doing right well out there already.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:00 AM   #15
Wetsmoke
On the road to being a farker

There is a bunch of Q videos on YouTube by the Fire Escape Griller. If you want to learn how to “use” your grill, you should check them out. Especially on how to grill indirect!!!
Wetsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fire Escape Griller, propane, Q200, Smoking Ribs, Weber