MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #61
LTG
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by twatsonr1 View Post
What's the flavor profile of the swamp boys sauce?? And how does it compare to BH?
I do not see the appeal of it unless you are looking for a sauce to doctor heavily. Very mild compared to BH OG. It works good for pulled pork in a non competition setting.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:05 PM   #62
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTG View Post
I do not see the appeal of it unless you are looking for a sauce to doctor heavily. Very mild compared to BH OG. It works good for pulled pork in a non competition setting.
That's a great answer, I love it!
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #63
bradgreer
Full Fledged Farker

I love swamp boys...The bbq sauce that is. As a stand alone sauce I would say it is in the top 5 of sauces I have ever tried. It's really good.
Brad Greer. YEAH BUDDY!! bbq team. 22.5 WSM, Camp Chef dlx. KCBS CBJ #67886
bradgreer is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 04-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #64
bpeyton89
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

I'm by no means a well accomplished cook and am not stranger to DAL, but I do have a couple trophies and checks that say it works well on chicken in a competition setting.

Last edited by bpeyton89; 04-19-2016 at 10:19 AM..
bpeyton89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #65
Back9Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I just jumped on the BH wagon. Is this stuff still hitting in comps by itself or is the 50/50 mix better now? My worst category has always been chicken. Decided to try my favorite sauce which is williams and bros on it last comp. Finished 2nd. I have a comp this weekend and thought I would try the BH on pork and ribs. Cant decided to do all original or the 50/50 mix. Any input
Back9Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #66
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back9Q View Post
I just jumped on the BH wagon. Is this stuff still hitting in comps by itself or is the 50/50 mix better now? My worst category has always been chicken. Decided to try my favorite sauce which is williams and bros on it last comp. Finished 2nd. I have a comp this weekend and thought I would try the BH on pork and ribs. Cant decided to do all original or the 50/50 mix. Any input
I spoon it straight out of the jar on ribs, I cut it a bit for pork, but it's not 50/50. More like 70/30

Old 04-20-2016, 09:47 AM   #67
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more. I use it straight up for pork at contests. We ended up 4th in the country pork in the 5 contests and under division in 2015. That works for me!

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #68
twatsonr1
Full Fledged Farker

The appeal to me for swamp boys sauce is just the possibility of moving away from BH. Now granted I only do small hometown rib competitions. But it'd be nice to be different.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #69
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITBFQ View Post
I couldn't disagree more. I use it straight up for pork at contests. We ended up 4th in the country pork in the 5 contests and under division in 2015. That works for me!
That's a great year Matt, congratulations and thanks for your support!

I was thankful that a few other BBQ teams shared their success with us too. Very proud that these and others have chosen us be a small part of their winning arsenal.

<shamelessplug>

</shamelessplug>
Gator Nation

Old 04-20-2016, 10:35 PM   #70
LTG
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeyton89 View Post
I'm by no means a well accomplished cook and am not stranger to DAL, but I do have a couple trophies and checks that say it works well on chicken in a competition setting.
The same can be said with sweet baby rays?

Old 04-20-2016, 10:42 PM   #71
LTG
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITBFQ View Post
Cool, glad it works well for you?

Old 04-20-2016, 11:14 PM   #72
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
The same can be said with sweet baby rays?
I haven't scratched the surface of the great commercial success SBR has achieved, although it is a long term goal of mine. I'm honored to be mentioned in the same sentence, thank you.
Gator Nation

Old 04-21-2016, 12:17 AM   #73
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
I haven't scratched the surface of the great commercial success SBR has achieved, although it is a long term goal of mine. I'm honored to be mentioned in the same sentence, thank you.
Rub, that'd be a dream come true...

SBR is our go-to sauce from the grocery store (thinned with a little apple juice). We even started out this whole competition thing using it as well. Even had a little bit of success with it...and we still bring a bottle to every contest, for "emergencies"

If we could walk into the same store and find Swamp Boys Original on the shelf next to Sweet Baby Rays....no contest! We'd have us an even bigger pile of glass jars in the cupboard!!

Dream big brother!!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Competition, sauce