MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:51 PM   #16
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Your rubs burned. Definitely running too hot. Get an oven thermometer that will sit on the grate and tune it in to that for temp. It helped me to do that. Take it from a new WSM owner it will shorten the learning curve. Plus it seemed to run hot the first few times I cooked with mine until it gets gunk sealing off the air leaks. It happens trust me it takes time. I am still getting use to mine. I am a pellet guy going to WSM 14.5" as I need something more portable for competition.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2015, 05:11 AM   #17
NeilH
is one Smokin' Farker

If it was out in the wind, the temps were bound to jump up and down some, especially on a new smoker. It was like that here at the beach. Nice looking setup, ribs look great to me.
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #18
SuburbSlicker
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome to the world of WSM! My second smoker was a 22.5 and I've burned that beast up on a number of occasions. (not literally, but you get the idea). I can churn out some stellar BBQ on it.

I will point you to one off-site resource which is similar to the Brethren, but has a lot of user insights into the WSM world: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/. Give that a shot too and enjoy your cooks!

Old 02-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #19
Enrico Brandizzi
Babbling Farker

You know, or maybe You should know You have to gunk the WSM. Till that moment the T will be to hot easily.
First try, first goal IMO. You will love how WSM works steady for hours specially if you combine it with ATC.

BBQness is on Youtube, Instagram & Flickr [/B]
Enrico Brandizzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #20
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Looks good for a first run. You'll get better understanding and control of it as you use it more.

Take a look at the link in my signature. You may not decide to do any of the mods I did to mine, but it also lists how I use my 22.5 and maintain more consistent temps.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Baby back ribs, chicken breast, WSM 18