• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rough go on 2nd attempt at spares

SteveLig

Reaction score
My first attempt at spareribs was on a COS and thought I'd try the kettle this time.

I wanted to do two racks so I bought a rib rack and lo, it was too wide.

spares_1.jpg

Tried to help with another item I had around but then they started to buckle. (This is one hour in.)

spares_2.jpg

My oven thermometer never really got over 200 although the kettle seemed to be running hot and the water was boiling.
I think I might have had it too far from the fire and meat.

After 2 to 2-1/2 hours smoking and a pity party without enough beer, I foiled them for 90 minutes with honey and apple juice.
I pulled them off and opened the foil and they looked overcooked drier than the drought were having in Upstate NY.
Sauced 'em up anyway and went another 20 minutes or so.

spares_3.jpg

spares_4.jpg

I think it burned into my head that bbq is definitely a process and requires practice, which I need more of.

On the bright side, the ribs weren't dry at all, had a better texture than my first attempt and had a decent taste.

I think I need considerably more rub next time around and maybe stay away from the rib rack. It looks like they would have fit without it.

Thanks, as always, for all of your advice!!

recommend get a smoker

i recommend you get a weber rocky mountain smoker it makes life so much easier then having to watch the kettle grill constantly especially if your water was boiling. sounds like you didnt have your charcoal to one side in the grill to do indirect heat.

nmake your life easy invest in a weber smoker i have two they are 12-15 years old still going strong:decision:http://thebarbecuemaster.net

Maybe others use their kettle for ribs . Heat to close to meat. My ECB always does a nice job with minimal work.

Thanks, guys! I was wondering about that myself. I finished modifying an ECB and it's ready to go. I think that might be the ticket.

I have trouble getting away from the kettle because my first shot at bbq was on one and it's tough break.

I did have indirect heat in about a 60 unlit/15 lit ratio piled to the back of the kettle. I think I might have left the bottom vents open too long though because at the one-hour mark most of the briqs were engaged. That and the water boiling led me to think the thermometer placement wasn't ideal.

Thanks again!!

Back