Speaking Of Brining......?

Garyclaw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Is it ok to brine a turkey in an aluminum pot, like a turkey fryer pot, or will the cause a reaction w/ the metal? I don't have any plastic buckets I could get clean enough to put food in. I guess I could use a cooler. What say yee?

It will almost certainly react with the metal - putting aside any possible health problems at best it won't be very good for your pot!

I've used a cooler before to cure some bacon with no problems - well, at least none I was aware of!

Sam

Just clean your bucket as good as you can and double line it with kitchen trash bags. I've done this before. Even if you can't get the buckets spic'n'span, you should be fine and the trash bags will keep the bird clean. Triple bag if you're really worried.

I've done it as well in the past, but many say (as well as the FDA) that use of trash bags that are not classified as food safe should not be used as chemicals can be transferred from plastic to food.

go to the store and get "turkey bags" :) they are for turkeys... /sarcasm:-D

seriously, the turkey size oven bags are the best thing for brining a bird. dont use a metal pot or garbage bags.

go to the store and get "turkey bags" :) they are for turkeys... /sarcasm:-D

seriously, the turkey size oven bags are the best thing for brining a bird. dont use a metal pot or garbage bags.

I use a stainless steel metal pot to brine all types of poultry and have had no problems.

Thanks Vinny. I'm not real keen on using a trash bag for brining just for that reason. Should have prepared for this cook a little better. Think I'll just inject and rub this one and let it spin on the rotiss for a few hours. Thanks all.

I've starting using a small cooler, keeps the turkey cool with the ice.

Tod

Go to your local Dairy Queen they will sell you a 5 gallon pickle bucket for $1.00. keith

I like to brine in oven bags as well. I can brine in my steel brew pot etc... but I like the fact that the bag allows for turning and full contact with the meat.

I've put them in clean trash bags (usually double bagged) or even a roasting bag and thrown them in a cooler with some ice.

I used the oven roasting bags too until I bought a special turkey-brining-bucket:
BriningBucket.jpg

I brine in stainless for years. As mentioned, the (potential) issue is with Aluminum. I avoid all types of aluminum if possible, but that's just me

what about one of the buckets ya use to slop your hogs? they are food grade, right? :)

Back