Pork Brine

Jbomb

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone uses a brine for their Pork Butts? I usually just rub them down the night before. But I was thinking of trying it. Any info would be appreciated.

Alton did this on his episode Q of good eats...

Brine:
8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses
12 ounces pickling salt
2 quarts bottled water
6 to 8 pound Boston butt

Combine molasses, pickling salt, and water in 6 quart Lexan. Add Boston butt making sure it is completely submerged in brine, cover, and let sit in refrigerator for a minimum of 8 hours. 12 hours is ideal.

Never done it. Been thinking about it though.

Here's a brine recipe I like for pork butt - it's figured for a dozen or so small shoulders. I generally brine them in a Coleman cooler with some ice packed around it - stored in the basement - cause it's too darn big to fit in my fridge!

Pork Butt brine recipe - roughly

• 2 cups dark brown sugar
  • 2 cups kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup ground ginger
  • 1/4 cup garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup ground cumin
  • 4 good-size ‘branches’ of fresh rosemary
  • 4 Tbsp of ‘cracked’ black peppercorns
  • 2 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 Tbsp of Tabasco sauce
  • 2 medium-size lemons that were chopped, squeezed and smashed to release all of their flavors
I know I know - you like more spice.:rolleyes:

Oh! almost forgot - I put all this in the cooler and add enough water to get it all mixed into a slurry. Place the butts in it and barely top it off with enough water so they are only peeking out the top. I let them brine for a good 24 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
i start with a measuring cup and put in 1\3 cup of Worcestershire, then add enough soy sauce to that to make it 2 cups then 1\2 gallon of apple or pineapple juice. or enough juice to cover your butt. let sit in fridge for 24 hours then take out of brine and put on your rub and rub your meat!!!!!!!! go get smoker ready then throw on to smoker and smoke baby smoke!!!!!!!!!!

I use this often....always comes out good!

Alton did this on his episode Q of good eats...

Brine:
8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses
12 ounces pickling salt
2 quarts bottled water
6 to 8 pound Boston butt

Combine molasses, pickling salt, and water in 6 quart Lexan. Add Boston butt making sure it is completely submerged in brine, cover, and let sit in refrigerator for a minimum of 8 hours. 12 hours is ideal.

Never done it. Been thinking about it though.

Thank you all. I am nervous to try anything new because I am cooking up 30 lbs of butt for my kids first birthday party. I guess I should say mine and the ol ladies first bday party by the time all is said and done. We are having about 40 to 50 people so I don't wanna screw anything up.

Good question on the bottled water thing! I do not think it will make any difference. YMMV

Good question on the bottled water thing! I do not think it will make any difference. YMMV

Depends on what the water is like where you live or if you have well water. Some places have some funky water. We've got great stuff in Memphis, so I just use tap.

I use Mortin tender quick only 2-3 hrs. Past that and the meat starts to turn gray, I think it does it when I use the always tender porks not the all natural.

I always used to use Alton's brine all the time. Worked good and liked it allot. Just wasn't giving me the results I wanted for comps but for at home I will still use it from time to time.

I'm a bit of a novice here--go easy on me...

What's the difference between using a brine and marinading somethign? The salt content?

I use Mortin tender quick only 2-3 hrs. Past that and the meat starts to turn gray, I think it does it when I use the always tender porks not the all natural.

The always tender are not all natural? What exactly do you mean? I hope this isn't a stupid question.

Thanks, brothersmoke. That's the only thing I could figure out--didn't know if I was missing something.

That leads to the next question--isn't pork naturally salty? Why would you want to soak it more salt?

Yep, water does make a difference. Arkansas water where Im from is delicious.

Dallas Texas water is purely rancid. I always use bottles water when cooking as well as beer making.:mrgreen:

Back