MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Default New UDS is coming in a few days

OK since this is my 1st smoker that uses charcoal I am going to need to buy some tools what do you guys think?

Chimney Starter or the Electric plug in one with a coil?

Lump or Bric for fuel? (if you guys prefer a brand over another pls share)

Then there is what kind of chunk wood... man o man the list is growing
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
LoveBBQ
On the road to being a farker

I just did my first smoke. I picked up a chimney. I started with KF blue. I have used apple for pork and I have some oak on hand. Planning on getting some hickory too.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Need a chimney or weed burner. I prefer Stubbs in my UDS. Several options on the wood depending on your tastes. I use pecan,hickory,oak,cherry,mesquite,peach,plum,maple ,mulberry and sassafras.

Good luck
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Good tongs and some welders gloves for hot grates. Also 2 good thermometers one for meat and one for the smoker.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
Good tongs and some welders gloves for hot grates. Also 2 good thermometers one for meat and one for the smoker.
Gloves... that's a good point. I saw on amazon a pair of gloves that claim to protect your hand up to 475*. They are $15 each.. so $30 for the pair. What do you guys think? In the mean-time I will look how much welders gloves are.

Regarding the thermometers I have a couple but the one I always use is the Maveric that has dual probes..

Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBBQ View Post
I just did my first smoke. I picked up a chimney. I started with KF blue. I have used apple for pork and I have some oak on hand. Planning on getting some hickory too.
I have a bunch of red oak logs that I have for the fireplace. Would that due well with pork and beef?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
tu42gpw
Found some matches.

Definitely hooked on the chimney...Weber makes a nice large-sized unit. I have been using mostly lump lately, being influenced somewhat by working through Gary Wiviott's "Low and Slow".

Gloves and a good thermometer are very good additions. As for wood, I like working with Hickory mostly.

Good luck and be sure to post some pics when you get it out and fired up!
tu42gpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Do you have a gasser with a side burner? That is hands down the best way to get your chimney started.

On my UDS's, I have used both Stubbs and Kingsford Blue. Sorry, I can't tell the diff.
Just don't use lump as you will get temps too high.

For the wood, use small 1 X 2 pieces maximum. Maybe 2 or 3 pieces. Get your UDS up to temp and wait for it to settle in and the smoke to not be white. Then you be ready to cook.

Gotta have nice long tongs and welders gloves.

Have fun. I love my drums even though I also have a BGE.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #9
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

I use Stubbs in my UDS. And what everybody else says ditto

Old 06-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #10
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
Do you have a gasser with a side burner? That is hands down the best way to get your chimney started.
I do... How do you use the side burner? About time I get to use it

Quote:
On my UDS's, I have used both Stubbs and Kingsford Blue. Sorry, I can't tell the diff.
Just don't use lump as you will get temps too high.
TY for the heads up on the lump. I was under the impression that lump was a superior product to use.

Quote:
For the wood, use small 1 X 2 pieces maximum. Maybe 2 or 3 pieces. Get your UDS up to temp and wait for it to settle in and the smoke to not be white. Then you be ready to cook.
1x2? Is that like the size of a deck of cards? I am going to need to learn the difference between the white smoke and blue smoke everyone keeps mentioning here. I assume the white smoke is more like a "cloud" and the blue smoke will be more thiner and transparent smoke.

Quote:
Gotta have nice long tongs and welders gloves.
Are you able to move hot racks around with these gloves on?

Old 06-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #11
ZouBBQ
On the road to being a farker

blue smoke is thin and wispy, white smoke is thicker and more cloud-like. i think it's from there being more soot in the smoke but that's just my guess
ZouBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Just got back from HD bought a Two pack bag of Kingsford charcoal, a Weber Chimney starter and also a weber kettle tool kit clip on. I saw someone do this on their UDS and thought that is a great lil cheap trick for tools to hang off of. Still no luck on the gloves yet.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
Thirsty4Q
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe1 View Post
Still no luck on the gloves yet.
try yellowpaging a welding supply store to see what is close by to you. I was going to my local place to buy CO2 tanks, and saw a pair I bout for $8, and they are big gauntlet style with suede exterior. Quite comfy too!
Thirsty4Q is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #14
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe1 View Post
I do... How do you use the side burner? About time I get to use it

TY for the heads up on the lump. I was under the impression that lump was a superior product to use.

When I use the side burner, I fill my chimney, remove the side burner grate, sit chimney on lit burner until coals are ready. Usually 15-20 min.

Lump burns hotter and faster, I usually use a mix of lump, briquets and hardwood chunks in my UDS.

For gloves I just use a pair of heavy leather work gloves, works for most tasks, but will get hot if you hold a hot rack too long :)

Modded Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe, UDS, Brinkman gasser

A health family, a healthy country, a healthy world -- all grow outward from a single superior person.
Chia Jen/The Clan --I Ching
ciret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #15
okie0831
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty4Q View Post
try yellowpaging a welding supply store to see what is close by to you. I was going to my local place to buy CO2 tanks, and saw a pair I bout for $8, and they are big gauntlet style with suede exterior. Quite comfy too!

Try Harbor Freight for the gloves.. the one in OKC has all kinds of welding supplies.
okie0831 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charcoal starter, lump, new smoker, uds