Wood Choices

Gerrit_Boys

Full Fledged Farker
We just got our first stickburner. I knew it would use far more wood than my gravity feed so now I'm looking for firewood. Is maple ok? Are there any others that may be common but not really thought of for cooking?

Thanks

Mojobricks reduce your need for lots of wood - typical results vary but you will use between 1 case and 2 cases per cook ( depends on time and conditions) we have Maple, cherry and fred oak

I have used pin oak, mulberry and wild grape vine with good results; I think sugar maple is fine, but watch out for other varieties - some of them really stink!

I have used pin oak, mulberry and wild grape vine with good results; I think sugar maple is fine, but watch out for other varieties - some of them really stink!

Red Maple, Silver Maple and Black Maple are all fine cooking woods ,too. As a general rule if you can make syrup from its sap you can cook with it.
Sugar, Red, Silver and Black Maples can all be used in commercial syrup production. You can also produce syrup from vine maple in small quantities, vine maple is also a smoking wood used in the PacNW.

Oak is a good all around wood, coals well and provides balance. At the restaurant we use only hickory, but it can be assertive, but it also coals well and provides a good amount of heat. You can add fruit woods like apple, cherry, peach, pear to sweeten up the smoke, too.....

I'm going to have to get alot better at identifying tree species. I know we have alot of ash and cottonwood, but there are several different maples here. I may visit with a tree guy and see what kind of a deal I can strike.

Back