Questions about semi-permanent pit covering structures

smokinbadger

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not sure if the title line was very clear, so here's what I'm wondering. I would like to build an outdoor enclosure for my pit, a Klose MasterChef, which is about 8 feet wide. I had originally thought about putting the pit on my deck until I did the structural calculations taking into account the weight (about 1800 lb). I have also ruled out rolling it in and out of the garage, as this has proven pretty difficult without a couple people helping when there is ice and snow on the the driveway

Anyway, I am planning to pour a concrete pad next to my garage and driveway for the pit, and to build a kind of pavilion to keep it covered. I am planning to have provisions for some kind of windbreak, like canvas tarps, which I can roll down when the pit is not in use and/or to block the wind when I'm cooking. I would also like to be able to cook under the roof of this structure during rainy days, but of course I want to avoid setting the whole thing on fire, so I guess I need to put some vents in the roof. Overall I'm thinking about something about 10' wide by 3' deep.

Have any of you seen or (better yet) built anything like this already? I would be very interested to get your ideas on what this should look like. If the weather ever improves around here I want to get started building.

Thanks,

You could build a wall on the backside of your pad and install one of those roll out awnings.

I agree with BBS, Zillas setup is pretty nice, I was checking it out one time and my wife saw it and said " you should build something like that for your pits". That was like sweet blue! I've already laid down a sand and gravel base and the turf-stone pavers. Check his out!

I have the Leaf Gazebo 10x10 I got it off craigslist for $100, but had to replace the top and got it from this place. Fast shipping and easy to deal with. www.gardenwinds.com and another site you might want to check for ideas: www.trellisstructures.com

you can really go nuts and build this
Picture001.jpg

However Zilla has a very nice and functional area:-D

Back