Leg of Lamb??

scottm4300

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
OK, so I searched the archives for information on cooking lamb. Seems there are more than a couple lamb-o-phobics amongst us. I am not one of them! Leg of lamb was always a Christmas tradition at my house growing up.

A bunch of us are going camping next weekend and I'm taking the SKD with us. One of the guys suggested we throw a leg of lamb in there.

Anyone got advice on smoking a leg of lamb? I'll doubtless use a lot of garlic and rosemary for this one, but do I treat it like beef? Take it up to 165 or so, foil it? Cooler it?

Thanks

Scott

I have never smoked a leg pf lamb myself. I would suggest cooking over hot hardwood coals using an indirect grilling method or using a spit.

Cook till you reach an internal temp of 130, let it rest and it should reach 140-145 degrees.

One recipe that absolutely adore is Steven Rachlien's (sp) recipe for leg of lamb. You can find that in the BBQ Bible.

Do you have his book?

I've grilled whole leg, like Big Belly suggests, and I've smoked it in my Bandera. Mexican "cabrito" style is basically a whole goat leg grilled over hardwood coals (usually mesquite). But if it's a big mature leg of mutton, that might not be real practical unless you like it raw on the inside. Then I'd smoke it. But I might also finish it on a grill to improve the "bark."

Treat like you would a roast, not a brisket. I bring it to 125 in the smoker at higher than normal temps(250-275), and then roll it over hot coals to grill and seer the outside. Bring internal near 135 over the coalsl, then take it off, wrap or tent it loosly and let it rest for 15 minutes.

let tit rest for 15 minutes.

...but that sounds so boring.......

LOL - thanks Phil! - and everyone else. THink we're going to try it next weekend

scottm4300 said:
let tit rest for 15 minutes.

...but that sounds so boring.......

LOL - thanks Phil! - and everyone else. THink we're going to try it next weekend

ok.. after i correct my typo. I'll make it more exciting. :twisted: (keep in mind.. this group formed all because of a typo. :) ) I am notorious for it.. :wink:

marinade that leg.

Heres my lamb marinade.

In a food processor, chop fine, rosemary, thyme, sage, orgegano and a boatload of garlic. 8-10 cloves. Add a large bottle of wishbone italian and a cup of lemon juice. Marinade for at least 6 hours. When done, spoon out the chunks of garlic and herbs and rub it on the lamb for cooking.

there .. is that more exciting. ? :)

OK - so I'm doing this leg of lamb for my buddy tomorrow. He already has it marinating in some ancient family Greek marinade and it's plugged with garlic. I plan on bringing the internal temp up to 135 or so, then foil it and let it come up to about 140-145.

Is there any general rule of thumb on a time per pound? This is a 8 pound semi-boneless leg of lamb.

Thanks!

Only one rule I can think of, don't forget the shovel.

Only one rule I can think of, don't forget the shovel

OK....so you're not invited!! LOL.....not that I think you're a big fan of lamb!!

I love lamb, too! I grilled some lamb loin chops last night. I marinated them in a little olive oil, lemon juice, fresh rosemary, fresh mint and garlic and then grilled until medium rare. Served with grilled asparagus. Yummy!

Let us know how the leg of lamb works out, Scott...

I had two different threads going this weekend, and the picture of the lamb showed up in the other one....so for consistencies sake - her it is again.

It was absolutely wonderful! It was about 9 pounds to start, had marinated all night the night before, and been plugged with garlic. Put it right in the middle of the smoke chamber in the SKD, took it to 145, foiled it, then took it up to 165 in foil and called it done. It only took about 5 hours from start to finish, with the SKD running pretty consistently between 210 and 225.

Scott

I remember seeing the picture... Looks great!

Back