Georgia Brunswick Stew

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
What something new to do with your leftover que? Try some good ol Georgia Brunswick Stew. There are 100's of versions of brunswick, some have butterbeans, some don't, some have vinager, some don't, etc.
There is a que place near my house called Kennesaw BarBQue, and while they don't have the best barbeque around, I love their brunswick. I tried to pattern my recipe after theirs.
The owner won't give me his recipe, but he did tell me that he doesn't use any vinager. While mine tastes a lot like his, I do add a little cider vinager. I've never tried it with beef, but you might want to experiment. Here is my personal recipe:

Georgia Brunswick Stew

6-8 cups chopped barbeque (pork, chicken or combination of both)
2 tablespoons of your favorite rub
2 cans 28oz whole tomatoes, chopped coarse (or use whole and just mash em later) with their juice.
2 11oz cans of shoe peg corn
1 1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinager
1 stick butter
1 tsp black pepper
1-2 tsp salt (depending on how salty your rub is, salt to taste)
1/2 tsp cayenne
Few splashes of hot sauce
2 cups water

Chop the barque up fine, then mix in the rub. Throw everything in a big pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 4-6 hours, adding water if necessary.

Try using either leftover roasted, grilled or smoked chicken (shredding it first). I've been brewin' up q-stew for about 15 years. I don't add vinegar per se. Its usually in the sauce i put in (a bit of your favorite smokey/spicy barbecue dippin sauce...). its some good stuff!!

The only thing missin' from yer Georgia Hash recipe is squirrel, rabbit, rodent, roadkill, etc. We use to make it for our cookouts in this pot that was a giant turkey fryer. Original use of it was to get rid of ANY kind of meat you had layin' aroung. Hence the need to shred it into unrecognizable pieces.

Man that sounds like what I call "left-over" stew
We get enough left overs and not enough energy to cook any thing new so we throw all the leftovers in a pot with pretty much the same cool seasonings you have - didn't know it actually had a "formal" name.

R

Back