MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
okie smoker
On the road to being a farker

Default Brisket Recipes / Tips

New to the forum, but been casually bbqing for several years. Typically, I do pork butt, chicken, turkey. I'm planning to do a brisket for Christmas. I've tried a brisket a couple times and not had much luck with it turning out real good.

With pork and poultry, I've been a big fan of brining first and wonder if that is an option with brisket. I've found recipes and tips that are all over the map and a few links were from this forum, so I figured why not join and ask.

Here's a couple recipes I found that I am considering.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Memp...d-BBQ-Brisket/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html

I would love to hear tips and techniques, as well as recipe ideas.

Thanks!
okie smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=102415
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57882

Here you go, great reads for briskets.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
El Ropo

Name/Nickname : Roger

I peeked at those two links, and could go on and on about how many things were wrong with their processes. Soaking wood chips and adding more wet chips to your cook every 30 minutes is a recipe for disaster. Tossing hot food into your fridge is another no no.

At least you found this place. check out the links posted above and hang around here for a bit, you'll start to see the light.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Enkidu
Take a breath!

First brisket I did (about 9 months ago) was made of equal parts salt, pepper, and mustard powder. I covered the brisket with olive oil and applied the rub. Got the grill temp until it was stable around 250 or so, put some wood chunks on, waited until thin blue smoke came out, put the brisket on, foiled when it hit the stall, pulled when it probed like "buttah". Turned out great. I don't foil any more, and I cook at higher temps now, but for a first go, doing just what I mentioned was a pretty awesome first attempt. If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have removed from the foil at the very end to crisp up the bark.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
okie smoker

Thanks for the links...I'll browse through them.

El Ropo, agreed. Cold wet chunks and hot food in the fridge is not good. Maybe I should have stipulated I would ignore those things. My main thought was more about the recipes themselves with the brine and sauce/rubs.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
El Ropo

Name/Nickname : Roger

kosher salt and cracked or coarse pepper rubbed on meat 30 minutes before putting in cooker. Simplicity at its finest.

All the extra stuff is just that.. extra steps. Get the basics down first, then after you feel comfortable with that, you can get fancy. Bigatyte's brisket tutorial is a good place to start for trimming, prepping packers. And you will want a packer unless you can't find them. The point is the best part of a brisket.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
okie smoker

I've read through some of the threads and getting the idea. Just curious...has anyone brined a brisket? If so, did it add to the flavor or add moisture.

I'm getting the impression that with a brisket, you think of it like a good steak...minimal flavor enhancement and proper cooking technique is what yields the best results. Am I right?

Old 12-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie smoker View Post
I've read through some of the threads and getting the idea. Just curious...has anyone brined a brisket? If so, did it add to the flavor or add moisture.

I'm getting the impression that with a brisket, you think of it like a good steak...minimal flavor enhancement and proper cooking technique is what yields the best results. Am I right?
Yeah, they do it all the time its called Corned beef
You want a Brisket Method that garentees results here ya Go!

1) trim all hard fat and thin the fat cap to 1/4 "
2) mix 50/50 Kosher salt & course Black pepper or 40/60
3) apply above rub to brisket
4) bring the pit to 300 deg
5 cook 4 hrs at 300 deg remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper and return the Wrapped Brisket to the pit continue to cook at 300 until you can insert a skewer and it feels like soft butter.
6) Remove the Wrapped brisket to a Sheet pan and set it on the kitchen counter insert a probe thermo when the meat temp drops into the 150's tear open the paper pour off all the juices and save them(after de-fatting) to dip your slices into. Separate the point & flat and carve across the grain. Never carve more than you need to retain as much moisture as possible.
bow:

Old 12-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm a big fan of Bigabyte's brisket thread
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57882

I have this printed out and refer to it every time. I keep thinking I should try something different, but it's just so good I hate to mess with it

Old 12-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
landarc

Brining the brisket will offer no advantages. You are better off following the first two links from the Brethren or Bludawg's method. Here is why...

A brine offers the ability to induce two effects, one is enhanced moisture by intially pulling water from the meat and them using the effect of salt and dehydration, once the meat balances salt and liquid, it reabsorbs the liquid, with some salt. This will make it more moist. It also denatures some of the protein, but, unlike chicken or pork, the protein in beef does not become more tender. It does change, and in that, it actually maintains it's density. Undercook a corned beef and you will see it is not more tender. The real trick, and what most folks get totally wrong, is that you have to cook brisket long enough, that it is tender on the grill, and long past any temperature range you normally would conceive.

Further, even a small cut like like a tri-tip takes a few days to fully react to a brine, a brisket, you are looking at 2 to 3 weeks for the brine to fully act on the packer. It is a long process.

There are few truths, but, the one that is true, is that it takes time to get a true smoked brisket done. Even if you cook it hot, around 325F or so, you still need to rest it, and that still takes 3 to 4 hours. In truth, the faster you bring a brisket to probe tender, the longer it needs to rest to settle down.

Brining, unless you want corned beef, is the wrong process.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
okie smoker

Thanks guys...I'll go with the simple method and see how it goes. I like the idea of a little garlic powder and a mixed seasoning of some sort, but we'll see.

I got my brisket already from my local meat place. I bought their "1/4 cow" earlier in the year and still had a brisket on my list. They are a local ranch that has a couple store fronts. They are not USDA graded, so not sure of the grade, but the looks of everything we get from them is definitely choice to prime. Looking at the pics y'all have posted, it seems like the piece they sell is probably just a flat. I'll take a pic and post it as soon as possible.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
okie smoker

Here's a couple pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20121218_183345_171.jpg (153.7 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20121218_183356_957.jpg (192.1 KB, 376 views)

Old 12-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
Boshizzle

Don't try to make it more difficult than it really is. Fire, seasoning, meat, skill (fire control), time. That's about all you need.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #14
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

Welcome to the forum, Boshizzle and Pitmaster T are TOP-NOTCH brisket guys, the info these guys provide is the "best of the Best"
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #15
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Good news! You've come to the right place! I knew very little about smoking but wanted to learn. I joined here last spring and learned a bunch quick. Didn't have a smoker and used info here to build a drum smoker (was previously thinking of getting an electric smoker). I followed the ideas here and my first brisket was good and my second brisket very good. Last one was awesome <smile> and folks around me think I know what I'm doing, ha. The reality is I just came here, listened, and paid attention to details while I cook.

I highly recommend a simple brisket cook and wrap in butcher paper when it hits the stall (roughly 160F-165F). There are 2 or 3 well known brisket threads packed with great info.

Thanks from:--->