Boxes from last competition

AZScott

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Well, my 2nd competition went pretty well. I scored better on 3 out of 4 meats and I feel like I'm still dialing it in. I'm sure that will continue for quite a while. I also received one score that shocked me. 6-3-4 on chicken for a total of 16! Ah well, I won the lowest score from any judge.

Let me know your thoughts if you would please. I'll post up scores shortly.

Chicken - I tried something new and lost my skin in the process. I'm thinking I need more sauce on here though. I also had one thigh that wasn't oriented like the others.
Picture013.jpg

Ribs - My ribs were the best ones I think I've cooked. I think I overthought them though and introduced a couple of overpowering flavors. I'm also thinking I may need a little more sauce.
Picture015.jpg

Pork - I turned in sliced, cubed mm, and pulled. I think my sauce was plenty. If anything I think I could have filled the box more. I think the chunk at the bottom should have been moved.
Picture019.jpg

Brisket - Brisket was good I thought but I only dipped them in a jus without bbq sauce. I like it that way but I'm thinking I needed some bbq sauce on my slices. I also think my points were on the smoker a tad too long after I sauced them. That sauce smudge behind the points was removed before the box was closed. Q-tips are awesome.
Picture020.jpg

WOW those are some fine looking boxes, stay consistent with appearance. Dont know what they tasted like, but they look awesome. 9's across the board

I don't know how you got a 6 on that chicken.

That chicken is a solid 8.
Ribs are an 8, maybe a 9 in person.
Pork is an 8, that one piece in front detracts from the presentation.
Brisket is a 9 IMO. Love the look of it.

Someone here taught me that if you sauce the backside of the brisket, you get the flavor w/o the appearance of sauce.

These boxes look just fine to me too.
6 for appearance for the chicken is out of line too low.
Maybe some one had sand in their eyes out there in AZ.
You are on the right track, don't get discouraged.

very well put together boxes, IMO.
the chicken may have benefitted from being dunked in sauce.
the pork looks nicely cooked.
ribs look great.
brisket flat looks like it MIGHT be a little tight, but can't really tell.
burnt ends look VERY appetizing.
nice work.

I'm no judge, but it all looks good to me. Congrats on your improving scores, too.

Thanks for the input everyone it's appreciated. Well, here's the appearance scores followed by the total score:

Chicken
6-8-8-8-8-7

Ribs
9-7-7-7-7-7

Pork
8-8-8-6-8-8

Brisket
8-8-8-8-8-8

Worry about taste and tenderness scores, before you worry about appearance. That is my suggestion for new teams.... Especially after seeing your appearance scores.

Scottie

Ribs, pork and brisket all look awesome. I'd be happy to turn any of that in. Chicken still looks good, just not quite as good as the rest. Really nice job!

Worry about taste and tenderness scores, before you worry about appearance. That is my suggestion for new teams.... Especially after seeing your appearance scores.

Scottie

I'm right there with you and that was my main focus this last competition. It just didn't work out that way. That's the beauty of this, it's one big puzzle and all you can do is take what you know about food and cooking and apply it hoping that it makes a table of 6 happy. Thanks for the input.

My opinion, for what it's worth:
Chicken 7
Ribs 8
Pork 8
Brisket 9
Overall, a very nice job!

Scottie

I agree, with the appearance scores and overall scores you listed, it looks like you got hammered in taste and tenderness.

I couldn't agree more with Scottie. Forget about your apperance because you got it pretty much dialed. Tighten up your taste and tenderness (if you haven't already) and you are right there with the best of them.

Nice boxes right there. That low chicken score was way out of line. Did they even give you a comment card?

The chicken might have been low due to not having skin. If a judge doesn't see skin they think you screwed up and had to go skinless. And it sounds like they would have been right in that assumption. Looks good. A 3 is pretty low though, snobby judge maybe who took the skin thing a little too serious. Those ribs are dy-no-mite!

Nice boxes right there. That low chicken score was way out of line. Did they even give you a comment card?

They did but none of the scores shown on the card were any that I received so I am ignoring it. The scores on the card was 4 - 7 - 5 and the comment was "uneven pieces" and "average but tough".

What comp was that from? The boxes look solid. Chicken could use a bit more sauce or at least a nice even coat of sauce. Do you brush or dip? I think dipping gives a solid even coat, but if you have a good brush you can get the same result.

FWIW, I am in KC, so I can only give you opinions based on my locale.

1. Scottie is right. Taste and tenderness were down so work on that.

2. I understand that as a judge, they "eat with their eyes first" and therefore may not give the biggest taste and texture scores that they would if they like the appearance, so, since you asked, I will nitpick a bit.... (Believe me, I am nitpicking)

Chicken:
Butt them up together. Flats together, bones out. put more parsely in the box so that there is a nice green frame all around. Judges should not be judging skin, though it is probably a natural tendency. Work on what you can work on and do not worry about the rest.

Ribs
I think they are beautiful, but a bit dry looking. I would use a bit more sauce and make sure to spray with apple juice just before closing the box.

Pork
Same as ribs. In KC, I would sauce and shine them more. As far as the chunks, if you are gonna chunk then chunk, if you are gonna pull then pull. Personally I do not like the look of small niblets.

Brisket:
Hmmm. I am no expert, but the flat looks dry and not exciting. Find a way to spray, dip or something to give it a bit more moisture. Burnt ends: I believe I need to sample them in person, so please send me some.

:)

Overall, keep it up. Nice job. That score on chicken was ridiculous, do not let it get you down. These boxes look a hell of a lot better than some I have seen while judging.

Back