MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Mini UDS Build Questions

Found a decent Smokey Joe at a second hand store this week for cheap. Nice wood handle. Picked up a 32 qt pot as I have read about in the forum at Walmart for $20 because of a small dent.

Planning on doing pulled pork, chicken wings, and my first fatties on the offset this weekend. Figured the mini would be a fun project to work on with my son while we cook....

I have read through here and the TVWB forum. Many great posts but I have a couple questions I am hoping for some help with.

It looks like I need about 4" clearance for the top cook grate to fit a rib rack. I would like to put in a second rack. That will be just about 4" below the first rack. Does this sound right? I thought the top rack would be about 2" below the top of the steamer pot based on what I read. But it looks like I need more headroom.

Second, I've read a lot about using heat sink and bought a 9" plant holder. I seem to remember some people putting this right on the steamer tray that can sit on the bottom ridge of the smoker. I posted a pic of it here. My question is if the surround holes will let enough heat through to maintain temp or if it will be fine.

Lastly if I take that route or something similar, how far does the cook grate have to sit above the heat sink? It looks real close with it 4" below the top grate.

I've read quite a bit... may be tired out. Hoping for some Brethren help!

Remember RGB....always sending it
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Determining how much space you need to leave for your rib rack is an easy one.

Measure your rib rack.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks. I used the rib rack as a test which is why I know the clearance. So not sure what measuring it would provide.

My question goes back to my post. The second rack would leave me under 4" clearance and be 1.5-2" above the heat sync. Wondering if this is correct/ok thinking.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

Thinking about it this morning I think I will plan on setting the rib rack to fit on the second grate. Leaving the top grate at about 2-3" from the lip of the steamer. I think that will work. Probably should have posted this in the mini wsm thread..sorry still a noob here!

Old 07-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellor View Post
Thinking about it this morning I think I will plan on setting the rib rack to fit on the second grate. Leaving the top grate at about 2-3" from the lip of the steamer. I think that will work. Probably should have posted this in the mini wsm thread..sorry still a noob here!
Nah, you've got legitimate questions that may have gone overlooked in another thread so it's good you started your own. I don't have any advice since I haven't made mine yet but your ideas have definitely got me thinking.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

I think i have read all the posts on this so far, one post before one of the guys said he just cut holes in the bottom of the pan to let smoke through. In a later post he came back and said he had a problem getting it up to temp, and once he just cut the bottom out right. I believe the 18 inch weber charcoal grates fit right inside this and will sit on the bottom lip just fine. If you just use that plate with holes, you might run into problems. IMO i would cut bottom out and sit rack on lip and put heat sink on that

Old 07-30-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks to both of you. I read most of those same posts as well. I planned on cutting out the bottom guided by what others did leaving the lip of the pot for stability. Those holes you see are the steamer insert. One post I reread this morning suggested using something to raise the clay pot base so you don't lose temp. But that may lose me some space. I agree on the grate idea. Swinging by ace this morning. Interesting reading what folks have done w these...

Old 07-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

i have two cooks on my new mini, chicken and moinks. i have gone with only a single cooking grate and use the steamer base to hold a water pan. i too am heading out today to grab a second cooking grate to replace the steamer one to rest my water pan on. less restricted flow would be the hoped for outcome!

and cheers to another from MA!

Old 07-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
thirdeye

I'm working on my Tall Boy today, and was wondering the same thing about one or two racks, height of the racks, drip pan holder etc..... So for a few cooks I make some clips from stainless steel banding to hold my rack. This way I can make a second set of them if I want to try the rack at a different height. The metal is thin so it does not interfere with the lid going on.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

Glad to see some MA members!

Love the idea of the clip. What type of strip did you use? Will it hold a decent amount of weight for a shoulder or something?

Old 07-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

Also. Picked up two racks at ace he this morning for about $8 each. They had glossy black high heat 1000 degree paint. Picked up a can and will retrn the flat black rustoleum. Anyone use this ace product before?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1312044622.328053.jpg (35.2 KB, 220 views)

Old 07-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
thirdeye

Quote:
Glad to see some MA members!

Love the idea of the clip. What type of strip did you use? Will it hold a decent amount of weight for a shoulder or something?
That is a piece of stainless steel banding, like you would use to secure equipment to a wooden shipping pallet. Stainless has more spring than carbon steel so it keeps it's shape under load. I tested it with 3 gallons of water which is about 25 pounds.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
thirdeye

Quote:
Also. Picked up two racks at ace he this morning for about $8 each. They had glossy black high heat 1000 degree paint. Picked up a can and will retrn the flat black rustoleum. Anyone use this ace product before?
I started a "paint recommendation" thread the other day, and it seems that aluminum needs to be treated or a special primer is needed before painting it.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

Thx. Not trying to hijack my own thread. :). But I thought the paint primer was for the car enamel paint people were using? I didn't get the impression that grill paint needed it?

Old 07-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

[QUOTE=thirdeye;1730891]That is a piece of stainless steel banding, like you would use to secure equipment to a wooden shipping pallet. Stainless has more spring than carbon steel so it keeps it's shape under load. I tested it with 3 gallons of water which is about 25 pounds.

Very cool.

Thanks from:--->