MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Default State Championship....Why?

What does a state championship proclaimation actually mean? Does it mean that the winner of a state championship is that state's BBQ champion until the next state championship? Does the winner of the most state championships for a given state get something at the end of the year? I'm just trying to figure out what it does for a comp at the state level.

Similarly, what does it take to get a proclaimation? Is it just contacting the gov's office and asking for him to sign a piece of paper? Does any thought or decision go into it, or is it just whether or not the gov has time?

And finally, why does it matter to The Jack and The Royal? I'm not asking to complain, but just to understand. If (and this is still an if) the proclaimation doesn't mean anything to the team or the state, and if (again only an if) all it takes to get one is the time of the sitting govenor, why restrict invitees to smaller (<50 teams) comps that have one? Why not say if you have >= 25 teams, the winner gets the invite (or bung)? What do BF and the AR think (or know) that having that proclaimation gives that GC?

Thanks,

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

I ATTEMPTED TO ANSWER IN LINE BELOW
[quote=dmprantz;1911049]
What does a state championship proclaimation actually mean? [QUOTE]

That the state recognizes the event.

[QUOTE] Does it mean that the winner of a state championship is that state's BBQ champion until the next state championship?
Quote:

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"] just like soccer, or gymnastics, etc. .. I think you can win a state championship, and it is more for the purposes of qualifying than actually winning anything. many sanctioning bodies of all types, have that "state" requirement in thier event structure. [/COLOR][COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Doesnt mean much.[/COLOR]

Does the winner of the most state championships for a given state get something at the end of the year?

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Nope![/COLOR]

Similarly, what does it take to get a proclaimation? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Each State may differ, but yes, it is a request to the Gov.[/COLOR] Is it just contacting the gov's office and asking for him to sign a piece of paper? Does any thought or decision go into it, or is it just whether or not the gov has time?[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"] probably depends on state, and if they have any req's.[/COLOR]

And finally, why does it matter to The Jack and The Royal? I'm not asking to complain, but just to understand. If (and this is still an if) the proclaimation doesn't mean anything to the team or the state, and if (again only an if) all it takes to get one is the time of the sitting govenor, why restrict invitees to smaller (<50 teams) comps that have one? The theory is that if it is a smaller comp, the State Championship designation will draw teams that are more competitive and want to be a "State Champion". (Invitiationals want strong competitiors)
Why not say if you have >= 25 teams, the winner gets the invite (or bung)?
They have said this on 50 or above, based on the thought that if you have at least 50 teams, you likely have those strong competitors there.

What do BF and the AR think (or know) that having that proclaimation gives that GC? Just means the winner likely had good competition.

The system does work... some teams will pick a contest on a given weekend because it meets the specification; that the organizer went to the trouble to meet the specification.

$10K prize money 35 team events in two cities; If one is a "qualifer" and one isnt - those that care about getting an invitation, will likely go the one that IS a qualifer. Some folks dont care or even know about any of those designations, they are just going to a local event.... so for the ones that care, it does drive a decision point, and bring better competition, and entries to the events that put forth the effort. Only matters if you care about the invitationals.

Thanks,

dmp

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can't speak for the AR, or BF and the Jack.

What I believe is that it serves the purpose of effectively culling the heard. At the AR, if you win a qualifier based on their specs you are in. This year, over 100 teams accepted that invitation and that works our to quite a bit of real estate. The numbers that are relevant are 15 for 1st year and a proclamation, 25 and a proclamation for following years, or 50 with no proclamation. Think about that for a minute.

Adding the proclamation, provides an additional hurdle to prevent me from finding 14 friends, putting together a quicky contest, and giving someone an easy entry or bung. It can still be done, but it certainly weeds some of that stuff out.

Being from Texas, I may have a little different view than some people. We have 50 team contests regularly, and as a result Texas is one of if not the hardest state to earn a draw to the Jack. No matter how good you may be, your odds decline as the number of teams and judges increases. As a result more smaller contests ARE beginning to seek proclamations, and I'm told that they are drawing additional teams for that reason. It provides options for teams when they are making choices about where they choose to cook.

Beyond that, it's a tool for organizers and new(er) contests. They may not reach 50 teams but they have the potential to draw a few more with qualifier status and help sustain their event.

Beyond record keeping, I don't see negatives. The system as it exists isn't the most efficient but it does offer something to the teams, the organizers, and the well known invitational events.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Thank you. I certainly understand what you are both saying. I understand that the system works, and I play in its rules as well, I just see some downside to it. Look at the Run for the Ribs last year: They had 48 teams there including some of the top teams in the country. Two teams backed out at the end and so the GC didn't get invites. I'm not trying to attack the organizer nor the teams who backed out, but I just think it's a shame that the GC didn't get the invite, especially since it was just a lack of a govenor's signature that prevented it. Look too at the Sam's club series: I know some states have standing proclaimations, but for the rest, how do things go? I don't see Sam's Club/MMA seeking the proclaimations because they do little more than help "competing" events in the same month as theirs, but most of the locals will have >= 25 teams and some stiff competition. I think it's a shame that those winners in some states won't also get invites. It would make more sense to me if the proclaimation actually meant anything, but since it doesn't seem to, I think it hurts some teams and events, intentionally or not.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

In Michigan, it is very difficult to get 25 teams even for the competitions that have been around for several years. This year we had an organizer cancel his event because teams wouldn't send in their entry form until the organizer could guarantee they had the required 25 teams to meet the requirement for the AR and The Jack entries.

These State Championship requirements cause a lot of burden on organizers in areas where the team population isn't as high.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

I can't speak for other states, but in LA, MS and TX, a state championship proclamation can be either standard or concurrent. Basically, the former has to be applied for every year, whereas the latter is for contests usually held in conjunction with a festival that's held on the same weekend every year. The number of teams requirement, as far as I know, is something imposed by the AR and the Jack - after all, it's their contest; they set the rules. And in LA and TX, I've seen proclamations from the state legislatures as well as the governors. If a promoter asks about one, we usually tell them to ask any friends they might have in state government, or there is a place to apply for a state proclamation for LA online...

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2012, 01:48 AM   #7
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmholler View Post
The number of teams requirement, as far as I know, is something imposed by the AR and the Jack - after all, it's their contest; they set the rules.
Lynn H.
Exactly. Last year the Jack folks accepted the GC of a sanctioned, 11-team event that had a Gov Proc.

Their ball, their rules. I've got no issue with that.