Make-Up Pron Thread (with 22.5 hr butt beans)

How long before this meat is ready?

• 15-20 hours

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • 15-20 days

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • They're dog food for sure!

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • They're already done you idiot!

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So the other night when I started posting about my wait for the 22.5 hour butt to finish, it was pointed out that I did not share the visuals with everyone. I promised when I made the beans I would post the pron of the 22.5 hr butt meat for the beans. I decided to go ahead and post pron of all of the cooking leading up to the event tomorrow.

It's not a giant cook, I'm only feeding 14 women who are going to drink and play bunko (did I spell that right). But, they will still eat and food must be made.

I fired up my WSM with some Chigger Creek lump and Cherry chunks, and aimed the craft towards 250*.

First I decorated the 14 pound brisket with some Smokin' Guns, Durkee Six Pepper Blend and Canadian Steak Seasoning.
Brisket_Raw.jpg

Then I seasoned the 10 pound butt with Simply Marvelous Pecan Rub.
Butt_Raw.jpg

They're on the smoker now. Let's see how long they take!:becky:

You are a glutton for punishment! JK! Meat looks good from the start! Good luck Chris I hope you are not up all night long again. I'm starting to wonder when you actually sleep. When I get to work in the morning and if you're still posting from the night before I will personally go make you coffee.

Whoops...I mis-read it...I thought it said "it's done when it's done":redface:.

Looks like the storms are still in the forecast. The weather radio went off a bit ago with a T-Storm Watch. Nothing here yet. Here's the radar....
Weather01.jpg

That's it? A little piddle to the west? Man, and I went and put up my Parasail for nothing.:mad:

I'm starting to wonder when you actually sleep. When I get to work in the morning and if you're still posting from the night before I will personally go make you coffee.
I'll be sleeping well. I'm just staying up to ensure the WSM is running steady, then off to bed. I should be good until about 5am when I will need to refuel.
I can't believe I voted before I checked the weather report. What was I thinking? :doh:
Looks like the storms are going to go north, so I may not see any bad stuff. Tomorrow's forecast...WINDY!:becky: So I may get to go parasailing after all.:cool:

Well, I woke up at 3 to use the boys room, and decided I'd go ahead and refuel. The WSM was still running rock solid at 250. I tossed on several handfuls of lump and spread it around. Then I got on here to check posts. No rain happened at all here tonight, but the wind has picked up a little. OK, back to sleep now!

Ok well I'm at work making coffee in case you're up Chris. Hope your cook is coming along nicely and you're dreaming of unicorns and butterflies.

Luckily, I'm awake to avoid such nightmares!:sick:

Cooker is chugging along at 250. It's been 10 hours so I checked the butt, internal was 165*. I didn't probe the brisket, it hasn't been long enough to check on a 14 pound brisket yet. It can always prove me wrong later.:rolleyes:

Nothing like waking up to make up pron. It's almost as good as hanging out by the smoker and drinking beer all day, not quite but, I'm stuck at work and I can dream. :becky:

We're approaching the 12 hour mark. Here's your morning pron.

Cooker humming along at 250.
WSM_12hr_Mark.jpg

The butt.
Butt_12hr_Mark.jpg

The brisket.
Brisket_12hr_Mark.jpg

As it got towards the 13 hour mark, I checked temps again.

First the Butt. It read 185.
Butt_13hr_Mark.jpg

Then I decided I should check on the brisket because it was looking good, and the smell in the air told me that the brisket might be done. The probes slid in with no resistance to both the flat (left) and the point (right) so it was ready. I left them in while I took the pic to get the temp reading. I do not normally take temps to determine brisket doneness, but decided to go ahead today and see what temps they were. The point was 195 and the flat was 200.
Brisket_13hr_Mark.jpg

I wrapped the brisket up in foil, then in some insulating blankets, and in an empty cooler along with two 2-liter bottles filled with near boiling water.

Since the brisket is done so early, I may actually have to pop it in the oven later at 140 if it cools off too much in the cooler.

More updates to follow! I'm off to a couple hours of conference calls. I may have to pull the butt off the cooker during one of them!:shock:

If I didn't just have a hunk of leftover butt for a prelunch snack, I would officially be starving right now. Awesome job! :thumb:

Back