MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #31
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook_Line_and_Sinker View Post
I fell in love with that smokehouse of yours years ago, and continue to pine over it! Simple and pure in design and function.

As always your posts are attainable and well layed out.

Once again you hit one out of the park

Thanks for all you share
Thank you so much, you are so sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae View Post
Hey Jeanie, my honey came up with another question, if you don't mind. Her eagle eyes saw that the finished product seems to be completely immersed in liquid, as is proper, but she didn't see where you added any before the pressurizing stage.
Oh, and I'm looking for a site for our new smokehouse. (chuckle)

Arlin
Arlin, I don't mind at all! When I raw pack meat, the process makes it's own liquid or juice. No liquids are added.
Here is a link to some "raw" packed venison I did awhile back...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=96721

When I process "cooked" meats, I add liquid. Here's a link to some cooked chicken and stock...
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...-hen-herd.html

when the meat is cooked first, I like to add it with stock or liquid.

You really do need a smokehouse. Not sure how anyone gets by without one. lol It's a "must" if you raise pigs too. :)

Thanks again Arlin and tell Jeannie Hi for me!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #32
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

That is absolutely awesome! I have a good friend that brings me Kings and Cohos from Lake Michigan each year. I brine and smoke it and make a very good product but was looking for "something else." This is it! I love this site for inspiration!

I always feel that you can taste the effort in good food. I am sick of the mantra "it's so easy" when it comes to food. Cowgirl has put in the effort and I'm sure it can be tasted in every morsel of that salmon. I can just hear the someone saying "Damn, this is good!" at a mid winter cocktail party after someone tries a cracker with that dip on it.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #33
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Great looking stuff! Luv me some smoked salmon.
DerHusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #34
cowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
That is absolutely awesome! I have a good friend that brings me Kings and Cohos from Lake Michigan each year. I brine and smoke it and make a very good product but was looking for "something else." This is it! I love this site for inspiration!

I always feel that you can taste the effort in good food. I am sick of the mantra "it's so easy" when it comes to food. Cowgirl has put in the effort and I'm sure it can be tasted in every morsel of that salmon. I can just hear the someone saying "Damn, this is good!" at a mid winter cocktail party after someone tries a cracker with that dip on it.
Grain Belt, Thank you!! I bet your fresh smoked salmon is wonderful!
I'm hoping to try this canned salmon out on my deer camp friends in a few weeks.

Please keep me posted if you process some!

Der Husker... Thank you!!

Old 10-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #35
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Great timing on this post and thanks for all the great info. As usual!
I've been kippering salmon for years and was just talking to FIL about canning some this year...gotta find a pressure cooker now.
We've got over 30 lbs. vac-sucked in the freezer thanks to this guy...and the other three we caught a week or so ago in Sacramento river. This was my son's first Salmon. He had a bit of assistance but he worked hard for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jacks 1st Salmon.jpg (45.1 KB, 97 views)
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #36
cowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbbqguy View Post
Great timing on this post and thanks for all the great info. As usual!
I've been kippering salmon for years and was just talking to FIL about canning some this year...gotta find a pressure cooker now.
We've got over 30 lbs. vac-sucked in the freezer thanks to this guy...and the other three we caught a week or so ago in Sacramento river. This was my son's first Salmon. He had a bit of assistance but he worked hard for it.

Wow, Great pic!! I bet that was fun to bring in!
I've not tried kippered salmon, would love to hear how you make it.
Sounds like you are set for winter too. Congratulations on the catch!

Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #37
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

The way I understand it is that Kippered Salmon is "smoke cooked". I got the method from Steven Raichlen's "How to Grill" and later figured out that the process was Kippering. I also gleened a lot of info from our friend Thirdeye on the process.
I usually dry cure w/kosher and brown surgar. Longer for thicker pieces, shorted for thinner ones as I don't want to remove toooo much moisture or get the fish toooo salty. Then I let salmon soak in some dark rum for a while then smoke it slowly on the UDS at a temp below 200* until fish gets to about 140*. Then it gets vac sealed and handed out to neighbors, friends for holidays.
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #38
sparky'
Full Fledged Farker

really nice smoked salmon jeanie. i have never seen canned smoked salmon before. great idea. i sure wished i lived closer.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #39
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

WoW looks fantastic!! Made my mouth water. Going to cupboard and getting some salmon right now :)
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #40
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

All I can say after getting my jaw off the floor is:
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #41
BBQMaverick
On the road to being a farker

You are talented and full of great ideas. Your threads have lots of good info and pics.

Very nice Cowgirl .
BBQMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #42
cowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbbqguy View Post
The way I understand it is that Kippered Salmon is "smoke cooked". I got the method from Steven Raichlen's "How to Grill" and later figured out that the process was Kippering. I also gleened a lot of info from our friend Thirdeye on the process.
I usually dry cure w/kosher and brown surgar. Longer for thicker pieces, shorted for thinner ones as I don't want to remove toooo much moisture or get the fish toooo salty. Then I let salmon soak in some dark rum for a while then smoke it slowly on the UDS at a temp below 200* until fish gets to about 140*. Then it gets vac sealed and handed out to neighbors, friends for holidays.
Thanks so much for the info! Sounds delicious, I will give it a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky' View Post
really nice smoked salmon jeanie. i have never seen canned smoked salmon before. great idea. i sure wished i lived closer.
Thanks Sparky! If I lived out your way, I'd be stopping by at least once a week for your killer ribs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwa View Post
WoW looks fantastic!! Made my mouth water. Going to cupboard and getting some salmon right now :)
Pwa, Thanks! Bet your salmon is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
All I can say after getting my jaw off the floor is:
lol Thanks Toast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQMaverick View Post
You are talented and full of great ideas. Your threads have lots of good info and pics.

Very nice Cowgirl .
BBQMaverick thank you! I'm trying to get a few things ready for winter and deer season. Seems like fall is a busy time for me.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #43
Arlin_MacRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Arlin, I don't mind at all! When I raw pack meat, the process makes it's own liquid or juice. No liquids are added.
Here is a link to some "raw" packed venison I did awhile back...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=96721

When I process "cooked" meats, I add liquid. Here's a link to some cooked chicken and stock...
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...-hen-herd.html

when the meat is cooked first, I like to add it with stock or liquid.

You really do need a smokehouse. Not sure how anyone gets by without one. lol It's a "must" if you raise pigs too. :)

Thanks again Arlin and tell Jeannie Hi for me!

Message passed on, thanks, and thanks for the other information! There can't be pigs in our present location: there's an actual City Ordinance banning pigs within the city limits! I don't know who did what, but that was the answer! LOL

Arlin

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #44
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

Looks great Jeanie. I've canned many lbs. of fish over the years. I've also smoked many lbs. over the years. It just did not occur to me to can the smoke fish. Now I have to try it. Thanks.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #45
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

If my plane goes down and I'm stuck on a deserted island, I only need three things to survive comfortably: a swiss army knife, a volley ball named Wilson, and Cowgirl to do the cooking. Dang!
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote