• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New UDS is coming in a few days

gaspipe1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
OK since this is my 1st smoker that uses charcoal I am going to need to buy some tools what do you guys think?

Chimney Starter or the Electric plug in one with a coil?

Lump or Bric for fuel? (if you guys prefer a brand over another pls share)

Then there is what kind of chunk wood... man o man the list is growing

I just did my first smoke. I picked up a chimney. I started with KF blue. I have used apple for pork and I have some oak on hand. Planning on getting some hickory too.

Need a chimney or weed burner. I prefer Stubbs in my UDS. Several options on the wood depending on your tastes. I use pecan,hickory,oak,cherry,mesquite,peach,plum,maple,mulberry and sassafras.

Good luck :thumb:

Good tongs and some welders gloves for hot grates. Also 2 good thermometers one for meat and one for the smoker.

Good tongs and some welders gloves for hot grates. Also 2 good thermometers one for meat and one for the smoker.

Gloves... that's a good point. I saw on amazon a pair of gloves that claim to protect your hand up to 475*. They are $15 each.. so $30 for the pair. What do you guys think? In the mean-time I will look how much welders gloves are.

Regarding the thermometers I have a couple but the one I always use is the Maveric that has dual probes..

I just did my first smoke. I picked up a chimney. I started with KF blue. I have used apple for pork and I have some oak on hand. Planning on getting some hickory too.

I have a bunch of red oak logs that I have for the fireplace. Would that due well with pork and beef?

Definitely hooked on the chimney...Weber makes a nice large-sized unit. I have been using mostly lump lately, being influenced somewhat by working through Gary Wiviott's "Low and Slow".

Gloves and a good thermometer are very good additions. As for wood, I like working with Hickory mostly.

Good luck and be sure to post some pics when you get it out and fired up!

Do you have a gasser with a side burner? That is hands down the best way to get your chimney started.

On my UDS's, I have used both Stubbs and Kingsford Blue. Sorry, I can't tell the diff.
Just don't use lump as you will get temps too high.

For the wood, use small 1 X 2 pieces maximum. Maybe 2 or 3 pieces. Get your UDS up to temp and wait for it to settle in and the smoke to not be white. Then you be ready to cook.

Gotta have nice long tongs and welders gloves.

Have fun. I love my drums even though I also have a BGE.

Do you have a gasser with a side burner? That is hands down the best way to get your chimney started.

I do... How do you use the side burner? About time I get to use it :clap2:

On my UDS's, I have used both Stubbs and Kingsford Blue. Sorry, I can't tell the diff.
Just don't use lump as you will get temps too high.

TY for the heads up on the lump. I was under the impression that lump was a superior product to use.

For the wood, use small 1 X 2 pieces maximum. Maybe 2 or 3 pieces. Get your UDS up to temp and wait for it to settle in and the smoke to not be white. Then you be ready to cook.

1x2? Is that like the size of a deck of cards? I am going to need to learn the difference between the white smoke and blue smoke everyone keeps mentioning here. I assume the white smoke is more like a "cloud" and the blue smoke will be more thiner and transparent smoke.

Gotta have nice long tongs and welders gloves.

Are you able to move hot racks around with these gloves on?

blue smoke is thin and wispy, white smoke is thicker and more cloud-like. i think it's from there being more soot in the smoke but that's just my guess

Just got back from HD bought a Two pack bag of Kingsford charcoal, a Weber Chimney starter and also a weber kettle tool kit clip on. I saw someone do this on their UDS and thought that is a great lil cheap trick for tools to hang off of. Still no luck on the gloves yet.

Still no luck on the gloves yet.
try yellowpaging a welding supply store to see what is close by to you. I was going to my local place to buy CO2 tanks, and saw a pair I bout for $8, and they are big gauntlet style with suede exterior. Quite comfy too!

I do... How do you use the side burner? About time I get to use it :clap2:

TY for the heads up on the lump. I was under the impression that lump was a superior product to use.

When I use the side burner, I fill my chimney, remove the side burner grate, sit chimney on lit burner until coals are ready. Usually 15-20 min.

Lump burns hotter and faster, I usually use a mix of lump, briquets and hardwood chunks in my UDS.

For gloves I just use a pair of heavy leather work gloves, works for most tasks, but will get hot if you hold a hot rack too long :)

try yellowpaging a welding supply store to see what is close by to you. I was going to my local place to buy CO2 tanks, and saw a pair I bout for $8, and they are big gauntlet style with suede exterior. Quite comfy too!

Try Harbor Freight for the gloves.. the one in OKC has all kinds of welding supplies.

I have a bunch of red oak logs that I have for the fireplace. Would that due well with pork and beef?

That would be great for the beef. I usually use fruit wood for pork(cherry, grape, that's all I have). Oak also works for pork, but it's flavor profile is a bit heavy and can overpower the pork if too much is used.

Matt

OK the black beauty is in. I plan on giving her a nice washing and then season her w/ veg oil. I read somewhere about Crisco, anyone familiar with this? Also I read some people spray the veg oil on both the inside and the outside. is this still recommended? What about the firebox?

Grease, lard, Crisco, doesn't matter. Just don't use motor oil. As far as the chimney, congrats on the purchase but don't load that thing up to start a UDS. You need 8-12 briqs lit. That's it. If you throw a whole lit chimney on top of your basket you'll never get the temp down low enough.

Grease, lard, Crisco, doesn't matter. Just don't use motor oil. As far as the chimney, congrats on the purchase but don't load that thing up to start a UDS. You need 8-12 briqs lit. That's it. If you throw a whole lit chimney on top of your basket you'll never get the temp down low enough.

TY for the tip, I'll use 10 briqs :) Regarding the lard and such do you guys spread it on the outside, grates and firebox?

Plus 1 on the # of briqs in the chimney...gets up there quick. I use about the same, and catch the temp on the way up, not down.
Also...Northern Tool has welding gloves too, but use good oven mitts, works just as well.

Back