• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Concrete Smoker, Grill, Pizza Oven...???

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Ok...so I'm cleaning up the back yard and as I'm rolling this heavy concrete culvert pipe to a new location (it's been here for 12 years) I suddenly had a brainstorm. I noticed the recess in the top and wondered if a BBQ grate would fit...the grates from my smokey joe fit perfectly! :p I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

I'm headin' to Home Depot to see about a flower pot for a lid (ala Alton Brown). Do you think the concrete (2 1/2 inches thick) will handle the heat? Thoughts and suggestions welcome! :p

IMG_4625.jpg

IMG_4626.jpg

IMG_4627.jpg

IMG_4628.jpg

IMG_4629.jpg

IMG_4630.jpg

IMG_4631.jpg

That looks farkin awesome. I think as thick as it is it will be fine. Some firebricks for a bottom would be sweet.

You've been looking at too many Kamado restoration pics! I'll throw you a lid on my potters wheel, the therapy is working!

100_2574.jpg

If you are able to find one of those cheap 26 inch Sears kettles, I'll bet the lid will fit all the way over that.

What a score? Now I've got another think to keep my eyes peeled for as I drive around town.

We've got a bunch of them at work that used to be outdoor ashtrays-now that smokings banned 25' from a doorway they are headed for the rockpile!
I'll bring a few home for you JD and you can do a Stacker mod to it!

Coat it with furnace cement. If it absorbs moisture and it heats too fast it could explode. If you "seal it" it might be safer.

That's an interesting set up JD, can't wait to see how it comes out.:-D

swamp...that looks cool!

the worst that could happen would be it would break into smaller, easier to move pieces:rolleyes:

That'll work...:biggrin:

^^^^^ LMAO.... What is it over 80 out there today and you guys are getting a little punchy???

77 and sunny...Life is Good...:p

We've got a bunch of them at work that used to be outdoor ashtrays-now that smokings banned 25' from a doorway they are headed for the rockpile!
I'll bring a few home for you JD and you can do a Stacker mod to it!

Cool...hook me up! :razz:

Coat it with furnace cement. If it absorbs moisture and it heats too fast it could explode. If you "seal it" it might be safer.

Hmmmm...not a bad idea! I'm doing a test burn tonight...one chimney of Rancher using a WSM lid.:wink:

IMG_4634.jpg

Just back from Home Depot...no luck on a flower pot that size. I'll keep my eye open for something to use as a lid. I'm thinking about trying a nursery center or place where they make the cement statues. :idea:

Pretty cool, I've wondered about making one from concrete. I would agree on the heat it slowly and I also don't think I would cool it very fast.

The Verdict Is In...

"Cracked"...!!!

Oh well...it was fun while it lasted. One chimney of Rancher and 30 minutes in to the burn @ 475 degrees and she cracked on both sides...:cry::cry::cry:

You can see from the cracks that there was a LOT of moisture in it...I tried to go low-n-slow...but the temp kept climbing on me. No Brian...I am NOT going to try to restore it! :twisted: You're more than welcome to give it a shot...but at this point I'm thinking I've got nothing invested other than one chimney of charcoal...it's headed for the rock pile...:sad:

IMG_4635.jpg

IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

IMG_4641.jpg

Lesson learned...get a "Big Green Egg"...:biggrin:

Back