KCBS Judging Class Info?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Can someone direct me to a link which gives information regarding judging at a KCBS event? I am looking for something that is more or less what you would get when you attend a judging class.

I looked on the KCBS site, but all I found was a little bit of info within the Competetion Cooks Rulebook.

I've cooked of helped with at least a half dozen classes ( I'm going to help Jim Boggs next weekend in Lake Placid) so this is my take.

The class runs about 3-4 hours. The first half the instructors (here in the North East it's Linda and Jerry Mullane) go over the KCBS rules and tell the perspective judges what the standards the cooks are cooking to. The last half of the class the judges are sampling food in a true KCBS judging environment and talking about and defending their scores.

It is worth an afternoon, if only to be around BBQ people.

Rich,

That's way cool that you have helped cook so many of those. Good news for you, starting July 1 the cooks will be compensated for their efforts. While I realize we don't cook these things for the money AND there will probably never be enough pay to compensate the cooks for time and effort, it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Rod

Jim - Your first and second sentence ask different things. The following is a link related to judging a KCBS event.

http://www.kcbs.us/kcbs_bbq_contest_judges_instructions.jsp

I took the class a few months ago.

I got a certificate stating I was a KCBS member and another stating I was a CBJ. I aslo got a KCBS name tag bearing my judge number.

Well, that didn't work. Click on where it says "classes" and then go to "judging classes".

I've cooked of helped with at least a half dozen classes ( I'm going to help Jim Boggs next weekend in Lake Placid) so this is my take.

The class runs about 3-4 hours. The first half the instructors (here in the North East it's Linda and Jerry Mullane) go over the KCBS rules and tell the perspective judges what the standards the cooks are cooking to. The last half of the class the judges are sampling food in a true KCBS judging environment and talking about and defending their scores.

It is worth an afternoon, if only to be around BBQ people.

Rich, Thanks for this information. I have contacted Dmitry and may have a slot for the judging class in Lake Placid. If it all works out, I will see you there.

Jim

Great!!!! Got my application in and everything seems all set for the Judging Class.

Thanks everyone for the information.

Besides age and membership, are there any other requirements (qualifications) to become a JUDGE??

No food allergies. Competitors use MSG and other stuff in their Que. Rather than take a chance, if you have a food allergy it is best to opt out. No one will think any less of someone who opts out of judging because of a food allergy.

Congrats, Bobby! Seein' as ya went there hungry and all, I'll just bet that the chicky scores were kinda high, then the scores settled down after the belly was fed a bit, right? When I took my class in April the same thing happened:mrgreen:. What did you think of the class, did it help like we talked about in Ankeney?
Dave

The guy I used to cook with has been a judge for 3-4 years, so between that and cooking I kinda knew the basics of judging (starting at a 6 and going up and down from there, auto DQ's) but hearing first hand the rep, others questions, etc AND practice judging was interesting. I think the real advantage as a cooker will be actually judging out in the field to see and taste other's food AND observing and discussing with other judges.

As far as tonight's food - it's a shame they had to cook some of the food bad in order to get the class to think about why they gave the scores they did. Plus, I think the lighting was bad - most of the food looked yellowish. And it's true, we eat with our eyes first.

What I wasn't prepared for was when the instructor asked why one person kept giving very low score (commonly giving 2s through 4s) and when the person didn't really have a good answer other than saying I didn't think it was that good, the rep asked if she should she could do better. The classmate replied that she doesn't cook. :eek: Not as in not a competition cooker, but she doesn't cook period. :mad: At first it shocked me why someone who never cooks would want to judge cooking, but then realized people don't have to cook to enjoy eating. But in my perfect world, I think every judge should understand the process of barbequeing.

The guy I used to cook with has been a judge for 3-4 years, so between that and cooking I kinda knew the basics of judging (starting at a 6 and going up and down from there, auto DQ's) but hearing first hand the rep, others questions, etc AND practice judging was interesting. I think the real advantage as a cooker will be actually judging out in the field to see and taste other's food AND observing and discussing with other judges.

As far as tonight's food - it's a shame they had to cook some of the food bad in order to get the class to think about why they gave the scores they did. Plus, I think the lighting was bad - most of the food looked yellowish. And it's true, we eat with our eyes first.

What I wasn't prepared for was when the instructor asked why one person kept giving very low score (commonly giving 2s through 4s) and when the person didn't really have a good answer other than saying I didn't think it was that good, the rep asked if she should she could do better. The classmate replied that she doesn't cook. :eek: Not as in not a competition cooker, but she doesn't cook period. :mad: At first it shocked me why someone who never cooks would want to judge cooking, but then realized people don't have to cook to enjoy eating. But in my perfect world, I think every judge should understand the process of barbequeing.

That is just plain FARKED UP!!!:evil:

Sounds like she is just scamming a ticket for free meals and who ever is unlucky enough to have their boxes judged by her will suffer since she obviously doesn't care about the actual competition.

She sounds like she has a preconceived notion about what Q is "supposed" to taste like and if it doesn't taste like that then it "isn't that good". Most likely baked or boiled ribs from some chain restaurant that she thinks are great.

She sounds like my FIL. When he said he didin't like something I fixed, I asked him what was it that he didn't like. Was it too salty, tough, too sweet, too spicy etc.

He just said "I don't know WHAT I didn't like. All I know is that I didn't like it.":roll:

WTF kind of answer is that!?!:mad:

Never asked again.

Bring a ziplock type baggy and a small cooler for leftovers.

I have my judging class on the 23rd in Hermann MO.

Do all of the classes let you keep left overs?

Don't want to look like a fool walking in with a bunch of gallon baggies when there is nothing to take home.:roll:

Back