Brisket UN-appreciation thread

I gotta tell you, I think a brisket flat is one of the most overrated meats in the BBQ world. Even when done properly, I am only looking to have a slice or two. IMO it rates just above chicken breast, and just below just about everything else.

I'm thinking that you haven't had really good brisket. In my experience, 90% of the briskets are mediocre to bad. If this is all I had, I might agree with you. Another 8% are downright good. But when you find that 2%, it is nirvana. I really feel that some people just know how to cook them and can be consistently in that top 10%, hitting that 2% as often as not. Two weeks ago driving down here, I had some of the worst flat in my life at a new BBQ joint just north of Petersburg. Didn't stop me. The next 4 dinners were heavenly at original Q-Shack. For whatever reason, they were "on" that week. Last night, not so good, but tonight I'll be back and see what they do.

Before you totally make up your mind on brisket I recommend you find your way down to the Los Angeles area farmer's markets and try some of BigMista's 'cue. Just saying.

A properly cooked chicken breast is still tasteless to me, while a properly cooked brisket flat is wonderful. I still prefer faux burnt ends made from the point though.

Last edited:
I've had it done properly, still not a big fan.

I'm not disputing you on that, but I have to say that I thought I'd had properly prepared Brisket myself until I actually did one day.

Before that happened I actually preferred smoking chuck roast. Since I learned how to cook Brisket consistently I haven't smoked a single chuck!

I too struggle with brisket. Mostly just getting good tasting and juicy slices from the flat. I make burnt ends with the point and those are always really good. Cubing it adding more rub/sauce and then smoking for a few more hours.

I haven't had great brisket in any restaurants, still better than mine, but not nirvana as Gore mentioned. I did though have 1 slice of waygu that a guy cooked in a competition and it was the best I have ever had. I know that you don't need waygu to get it this good, but it is hard to cook brisket a lot when I know the flat will just be ok. Though my friends say "damn this is good". We are candid with each other so I say "don't give me **** I think it tastes mediocre" and they swear it is good.

All that crap being said I'd rather cook a butt before it falls apart and eat the money muscle sliced up. I'd put that up against a lot of sliced brisket. Way easier. But BBQ is a sadistic addiction and I keep cooking brisket because it is still fun.

Tim (Groundhog) has had an excellent brisket, R2Egg2Q and Phat Matt's both cook excellent briskets. He just doesn't like em as much as other cuts. I can see that. /My preference is for sliced point, but, I will always take good brisket fresh from the cooker. Tim also eats brisket without pickle and raw onions, with utensils off of plates, so, what does he really understand. :crazy:

Tim (Groundhog) has had an excellent brisket, R2Egg2Q and Phat Matt's both cook excellent briskets.

Yes, John's was pretty much spot on.

Tim also eats brisket without pickle and raw onions, with utensils off of plates, so, what does he really understand. :crazy:

You know I try, Bob :icon_blush:

Brisket is okay to me. I'd rather have various pork products, though. Around here, brisket is generally rather expensive, so I rarely bother with it. The last one I did was also the best I've ever had, but I'd still rather have some pork ribs.

Personally, no...I would only screw it up. I have had one cooked by a competent pitmaster though :cool:

Good Deal.

It will make some killer, if expensive, ground beef!

One thing that has not been mentioned is the full use of brisket other than sandwiches or plates.

Mrs Kapn is the "Brisket Queen".
She uses brisket anywhere that beef is called for with fantastic results.
Stews, chilie, shepard's pie, and on and on.
Elevates all the recipies to a new level.

TIM

Back