MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Generator?

I am looking for a very inexpensive generator, don't need much but must be able to run a coffee pot and hopefully be very quit for my fellow teams comfort. Any Ideas for somewhere between 100.00 and 200.00.
Dave

Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I don't know if you will find anything quiet in that price range. Do you know the specs on the coffee pot? i didn't look at any specific models, but according to this site the average coffee maker draws 800 watts.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
I am looking for a very inexpensive generator, don't need much but must be able to run a coffee pot and hopefully be very quit for my fellow teams comfort. Any Ideas for somewhere between 100.00 and 200.00.
Dave
If truly all you want to run is a coffee pot or other small appliance, I would recommend an AC inverter that you can hook right to your battery or plug in your cigarette lighter.
If your car is not near your site, you can also just bring deep cycle marine battery to hook it to. (this is actually a little better, as you don't risk running your car battery down)

A 10 cup coffee pot uses about 1200 watts, I would recommend a 2000 watt inverter, so as to give you spare capacity.

You should be able to pick up a decent DC/AC inverter for 150.00

Generator's will cost you quite a bit more for the same wattage.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I don't know if you will find anything quiet in that price range. Do you know the specs on the coffee pot? i didn't look at any specific models, but according to this site the average coffee maker draws 800 watts.
The coffee pot I have at home is 900 watts but I will look around and see if I can't find a lower wattage pot for camping. Wildfire Motors has one that is 1200w peak and 1000w rated and runs at 62 disables. I don't know if that is high or low but there is one on Creagslist in my area for 100.00 the seller has not gotten back with me so not sure if its new or used.
Dave

Old 02-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
If truly all you want to run is a coffee pot or other small appliance, I would recommend an AC inverter that you can hook right to your battery or plug in your cigarette lighter.
If your car is not near your site, you can also just bring deep cycle marine battery to hook it to. (this is actually a little better, as you don't risk running your car battery down)

A 10 cup coffee pot uses about 1200 watts, I would recommend a 2000 watt inverter, so as to give you spare capacity.

You should be able to pick up a decent DC/AC inverter for 150.00

Generator's will cost you quite a bit more for the same wattage.

I have given this set up some thought and may still go that way.
Dave

Old 02-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
Nomanerz
On the road to being a farker

Most comps have elctricity, but if you're looking for a quiet gen, you're probably gonna end up paying around $1000 for a decent one. The Honda eu1000ia is a solid gen and very quiet. The eu2000ia runs about 200 more, but you can run it in parallel with another 2000 for 4000 watts of power.
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#0000ff](Different Mothers)[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Haulmark Competition Trailer[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]American Barbecue Systems Pit Boss[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS]OTP, OTG, 2 Snailesque UDS's
Traeger Junior[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/LEFT]
Nomanerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomanerz View Post
Most comps have elctricity, but if you're looking for a quiet gen, you're probably gonna end up paying around $1000 for a decent one. The Honda eu1000ia is a solid gen and very quiet. The eu2000ia runs about 200 more, but you can run it in parallel with another 2000 for 4000 watts of power.

Sorry that price range is just not in my budget at this time.
Dave

Old 02-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
Nomanerz
On the road to being a farker

I know it's pricey. We've been cooking competitively for 4 years now, averaging about 8 comps per year and have only needed to use a gen twice...and when we did, we just rented a honda 2000 for the weekend.
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#0000ff](Different Mothers)[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Haulmark Competition Trailer[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]American Barbecue Systems Pit Boss[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS]OTP, OTG, 2 Snailesque UDS's
Traeger Junior[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/LEFT]
Nomanerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

cheapest option, a 3 way and a good cord to go steal some from your neighbors! honestly, anything but the honda eu series makes wayyyyyy too much noise imho. I dont own one, but ive plugged into a few when at a comp

Old 02-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

If that's all you need, I'd just buy electricity at the comps. Yes, long term the cost of $25 a tournament for electric will be more than a gen, but you won't have wear / tear on a Gen nor fuel costs depending on how much you run it.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
DMDon
Full Fledged Farker

I have this one I would sell for $100. I have used it about 5 times. We just upgraded to a couple honda 2000s. Its fairly quiet and we have built a box cover, that helps make it even quieter. I will give you the box also. I can bring it to KC the weekend of Kookers Kare

pm me if interested
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3480_200313480
KCBS CBJ #23234
DMDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDon View Post
I have this one I would sell for $100. I have used it about 5 times. We just upgraded to a couple honda 2000s. Its fairly quiet and we have built a box cover, that helps make it even quieter. I will give you the box also. I can bring it to KC the weekend of Kookers Kare

pm me if interested
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200313480_200313480

I will give that some thought, when is the Kookers Care?
Dave

Old 02-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
Mo-Dave

Guess I have been going to the wrong contest. Many times its first come first serve or you need 150 feed of cord or the the outlets don't work or someone disconnected you accidentally or on purpose or the comps rented generators stop working or, well you get the idea. I just want not to have to depend on others for my needs but I have a couple times hooked up to someone else with their blessings of course but they are not always available to me.
Dave

Old 02-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #14
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

These are alomost as quiet as the honda 1000 Honeywell Inverter
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #15
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
Guess I have been going to the wrong contest. Many times its first come first serve or you need 150 feed of cord or the the outlets don't work or someone disconnected you accidentally or on purpose or the comps rented generators stop working or, well you get the idea. I just want not to have to depend on others for my needs but I have a couple times hooked up to someone else with their blessings of course but they are not always available to me.
Dave
I hear ya. We avoid contests that don't provide power as we do like to have a few comforts. But even though you've got the Gen, some things can still go wrong (part breaks, run out of fuel, won't start, etc).

Of course we're looking at picking one up as well, but that's to help run the A/C in the new trailer