• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
How heavy is the lid on that 85 gallon bad boy, Bob?

Sorry for the delay in the answer but with that valve on there pretty dang heavy. otherwise not to bad. I'm going to bolt on some handles this week and find an alternative to that valve. Maybe look for a weber that would fit or something like that.

Cooked 2 shoulders, and 2 slabs on one level inside the drum. Burned 1/2 bag of charcoal for 18 straight hours with 4 chunks of wood.

Hey guys,

Thought I keep you guys posted with some pics.
As some of you know I recently bought 2 barrels with closed lids.
I don't know if I can find some loose lids but yesterday I found an Weber 57 cm./22.5 inch on internet for 20,00 (euro's).
It is allready mine I just have to pick it up and it's only a 30. min. drive.

Last edited:
Thats great phubar. congrats.

I have my eyes peeled for one or two of those in my area.

Thats great phubar. congrats.

I have my eyes peeled for one or two of those in my area.

Thanks!
I hope you'll find em too!
I found mine on Marktplaats.nl (sort of E-Bay,think it's been bought by E-Bay now),don't know if i'm violating the rules of this forum by naming these websites but if so let me know.:wink:

The one thing that seems to differ most about UDS's is the Charcoal baskets.
I have a few Q's on this.

In your experience, is taller & less diameter better or shorter and more diameter?

Is 7 3/4" deep enough for a charcoal basket?

I have a piece of 3/4 expanded metal grating that is 24" x 31".

I can cut it into four 7.75" by 24" pieces and have enough for two baskets 15" in diameter.

I would like to try to get at least 2 baskets out of what I have, but how would you do it?

Thanks

BBQDude..........Lookin good Brother!

I hope my first cook comes out as nice. I have never smoked meat before.

I like your UDS too...Top shelf all the way around. Nice post.

Last edited:
Hey guys I have a question, do I need to paint the inside of the drum? And I have a little bit of the liner in the bottom of the drum. Is it ok to cook in it or do I need to try to get it out before I start cooking in it?

Hey guys I have a question, do I need to paint the inside of the drum? And I have a little bit of the liner in the bottom of the drum. Is it ok to cook in it or do I need to try to get it out before I start cooking in it?

Not sure about the remaining liner, but I would want it out of there if it was me.

Do not paint the inside of the drum. Burning paint and food are not a good combo.

From what I have read, you are supposed to get the inside to bare metal. Then Wipe the inside with crisco and fire it up with coals in the basket and all vents open for a couple hours. This will "season" the inside of the drum and make it very rust resistant.

Post some pics of your build. We all love pics.

JT

Jeff, I looked a little closer at the web site and they don't offer online shopping so that link won't do me any good but thanks anyway.

you might have to go to mountain grove... of course you know there is an ace and browns hardware..

or you may have to either build the racks yourself or get someone to build them for you.. thats what i have to do as i cant find the replacement racks here either. our home depot doesnt carry them nor does any place else without paying $40 because it is special order.

The one thing that seems to differ most about UDS's is the Charcoal baskets.
I have a few Q's on this.

In your experience, is taller & less diameter better or shorter and more diameter?

Is 7 3/4" deep enough for a charcoal basket?

I have a piece of 3/4 expanded metal grating that is 24" x 31".

I can cut it into four 7.75" by 24" pieces and have enough for two baskets 15" in diameter.

I would like to try to get at least 2 baskets out of what I have, but how would you do it?

Thanks

Well, baskets work a lot better if they have a bottom. If you butt-joined your 4 7.75x24" strips pairwise you would get two 7.75" x 48" strips from which you could roll two 7.75x15-1/4" rings, but that doesn't get you basket bottoms.

I know it's obvious, but it had to be said .. :)

seattlepitboss

Hey Jtank,
you can use the charcoal grate from a Weber or buy one for a Weber at HD. Then do this. Mine is 8" tall and the grate is 3" above the bottom. Holds plenty of charcoal.

Attachments

• DSC02483.jpg
    DSC02483.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,170
Yea Jeff I'm only about 25 miles from Mountain Grove and I've been to Ace hardware, but I'm trying to find some for under $15.
I'm kind of cheap, if I have to pay that much so be it, but I'm just seeing if I can get a better deal.
I'm thinking about making some UBS's and selling them and I wanted to get the lowest price I can so I don't have to charge so much when I go to sell them.
If I can't get a better deal then I'll get them and just pass the cost on when and if I sell any of them.

I noticed a small pool of water in the inside of the drum today, guessing left over condensation from the last smoke. Anyone ever consider putting a plug in the bottom (keep this clean), later draining out water (to save it from rusting)?

Just about have all the component ready to go for my first build. Pick up the drum on Friday hope to have it done but EOD Sunday. So far my total cost is $0.00! Freebies and stuff laying around and a gift cert for the thermo. Looks like I have to spend a few bucks to cut the 1" intake holes. Question for the brothers, do the hole saws do a decent job, or should I spend the bucks for a step drill? Does this offically count on the cost of the smoker?

Question for the brothers, do the hole saws do a decent job, or should I spend the bucks for a step drill?

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, the step drill bits are cheaper there than anywhere else I've found.

Hey Jtank,
you can use the charcoal grate from a Weber or buy one for a Weber at HD. Then do this. Mine is 8" tall and the grate is 3" above the bottom. Holds plenty of charcoal.

Thanks guys, I was intending to use a webber coal grate but forgot to mention that small, impotant bit of info:oops:

Barbarian, Is the overall height of the complete assembly in your pic 8" tall or is just the expanded metal part 8" tall. Also what is the diameter. Thanks bro

Back