Brinkmann vertical mods and suggestions?

C

chimmike

So I came across this thread via google and found some good ideas for modding the brinkmann vertical to maintain heat better. Drilled about a dozen holes in the fire bowl this morning and I'll be heading to Ace to get wood chunks instead of the chips I've been using.

I'm curious though, since we're talking about maintaining heat, what about external insulation on this thing? I'm gonna use oven gasket to seal the doors, and probably use fire brick or ceramic tiles and lava stone on the bottom below the fire bowl to help maintain heat, but I've come across some other decent smokers and they seem to be of a thicker or heavier gauge material leading to less heat loss, which brought me to the insulation idea.

I've got the newer vertical, the two-door model.

Throwing in a pork shoulder for a good smoke today :)

Well, already noticed the drilled holes in the fire pan helped. Temp got to 200* fairly quickly. I threw in the water pan and the pork, temp dropped of course because of the additions but I put on some good sized mesquite chunks and they're smoking well. Definitely going to have to go around and seal the thing, either with high temp stuff or weld. Hopefully I can weld it with my flux-core job and not burn through the material.

Also, I added those ceramic briquettes at the bottom of the smoker. I'll need another box worth to get some good insulation down there for heat retention, but a layer is definitely a good start.

Tried to get some oven gasket at ace but they didn't carry it. I'm sure lowes or HD will, have to try them this week in prep for next weekend's smokin'. I can already tell that with a little TLC, this'll be a great low-dollar smoker for me, which makes the wife happy.

On a side note, her folks bought one of those big green egg things. Pretty nice. We didn't know how much they paid until we went and looked at 'em ourselves. HOLY HELL! That thing should do all the prep work FOR YOU for that price. haha.

Sounds like you are off to a good start. You may want to consider adding a raised grate to the charcoal pan so ash won't smother your coals. Also, upgrade the thermometer on the lid.

BTW - Read the entire UDS bible thread. There are some good ideas there that transfer well to the Brinkman.

I'll have to find that thread, I'll definitely read it.

I'm tempted to build a deeper fire bowl actually, with a partially open grate bottom

I got started with one of those, the old single door model. Put a disposable half pan under your charcoal bowl to catch the ash and shake down the bowl periodically to keep it from choking out. I also lined the bowl with chicken wire. Drill a whole in the lid and drop in a new thermometer or probe. the one built in is useless. Also i don't know if they improved the welds on the legs but mine started to break. If you have a welder I would definitely try and beef those up.

heh, well then. My flux core lincoln welds a bit too HOT for the thin gauge material this thing is made of. Anyone know of any good fireplace tapes or sealants I can use on the seams of this thing without paying someone to weld it?

Gonna make a run to home depot tomorrow during lunch to pick up some bricks and a small grate, but it'd sure be nice to seal up that top seam.

yah, I've figured out the smokey joe charcoal grate thing, having trouble finding one for sale though. Lowes had zilch smaller than 19", ace had zilch smaller than 14". Gonna try HD tomorrow. And I might build an ash turner like in the weber kettle as well..........

Back