brining

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Question or two about this subject:

is brining a good way to get a flavor of a rub into the meat?

Can other sweeteners be used other than sugar? Like honey perse?

Thanks

Brining is a way to get the flavors in a rub into the meat. I have used honey in brines with great success, along with maple syrup, molasses and even Splenda. In fact, my favorite chicken brine is a rather simple one of equal parts salt and honey, with chicken stock for the liquid (low salt or even salt free since I add the salt) and a little rub for flavor. That's it, but I really like it.

Brining is a way to get the flavors in a rub into the meat. I have used honey in brines with great success, along with maple syrup, molasses and even Splenda. In fact, my favorite chicken brine is a rather simple one of equal parts salt and honey, with chicken stock for the liquid (low salt or even salt free since I add the salt) and a little rub for flavor. That's it, but I really like it.

ok cool. Im trying to find a better way to make chciken and center cut loin chops more flavorful. I have been trying to figure out if its better to put the rub under the skin and let it dry brine for a couple of hours or to actually use the rub in a brine.

I want to try apple juice and apple slices in the brine for some loin chops with some Cinnamon and what not. kinda like spiced pork chops

i might have to try your chicken brine. i wonder if fruit juice from squeezed fruits would be good.

Fruit juices work great for a brine. Turkeys are great brined in Apple Juice or even spiced Apple Cider!:wink: Pork loves apples, so apple juice will work magic. The only thing about using fruit juices is that you don't need to use as much sugar (and if you add a lot you can actually reach the saturation point)...although if you do add lots of sugar and make it sweet, I won't tell if you don't!:becky: One tip when using juices...dissolve the salt first.:wink:

Fruit juices work great for a brine. Turkeys are great brined in Apple Juice or even spiced Apple Cider!:wink: Pork loves apples, so apple juice will work magic. The only thing about using fruit juices is that you don't need to use as much sugar (and if you add a lot you can reach the saturation point)...although if you do add lots of sugar and make it sweet, I won't tell if you don't!:becky:

The man speaks the truth!!! :thumb:

Cheers

Thanks guys. A whole new world(damn, now that song is in my head) just opened up to me for new flavor profiles!

I found an awesome brine at patio daddios website. it has apricot nector in it. Im gonna use it on some game hens like he suggested.

Check out Brining 101 at the bottom of my signature. It covers a lot of details.

Almost anything sweet can be used in a brine, the key is that you have a salt water base (minimum of 1/2 cup, but 1 cup is normal) per gallon of water. It won't work without salt. Then it's just soaking.

Check out Brining 101 at the bottom of my signature. It covers a lot of details.

Almost anything sweet can be used in a brine, the key is that you have a salt water base (minimum of 1/2 cup, but 1 cup is normal) per gallon of water. It won't work without salt. Then it's just soaking.

it is now saved to my pc. Im going to work on all my brines now.

I think its cool how osmosis works. Its mind bogling that even with dead meat, osmosis still works. So i wonder whats going on that pulls the salt in any givin direction. Must be the electrical charges since they are electrolytes.

whats this danger zone of 40*-140*? danger of what? The chicken is going to get cooked anyway so anything bad should be cooked out.

thanks

Russ does a great job with his "101's".
I search and read here first-- cause this is my home.
Then, I tie it all together with his handiwork.
Great stuff.

TIM

Back