MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
Smoke Lover
Found some matches.

Default I need help chosing a new smoker

I have been int he market for a new smoker for the last few months. I think I have decided on the new Backwoods Party G2 which is $2625. In the back of my mind, I keep thinking instead of a new Party G2--I should get 2 new G2 Chubbies for $2650. That way I could have chicken or brisket in 1 and ribs and butts going in the other. Its a pretty big expense for me in my current financial position so any insight on whether to buy the party or 2 chubbies(or any better smoker options at the same price point) is much appreciated.
Smoke Lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Build 2 UDS's , take $500 and have a weekend blast in Vegas, stuff the remainder away in a bank account to smoke anything you want for the next year! Money well spent! You will find the drums work great and provide as good and as much que as you could need! You sound like you need a vacation, and having money in the back you support your BBQ habit will help keep financial problems at bay. being well feed and having a relaxing hobby contribute to a feeling of well being.

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
Garrett
Babbling Farker

UDS ALL THE WAY. Cheapest best bbq cooking machine you could ever own. If you spend sometime searching for the material you could end up spending next to nothing on it. I've built two so far and on both I may have spent $50. The barrel may be the most expensive part.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

How much do you need the extra depth of the g2 line?
The extended party is much cheaper but it is just shy of fitting the full pan.
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
eggzlot
Take a breath!

are you looking to compete or just for home use?

If for competing, you have to consider how you would transport either 2 chubby's or 1 party (weight vs their foot print in your vehicle/trailer). Also if competing, you can cook at 2 different temperatures with 2 Chubby's, use different woods in each one, etc.

If you are cooking just at home, do you really want to tend to 2 fires, 2 smokers, etc? Depends on how big of parties you throw, but I would think the Party would be big enough for personal use at home. 12+ slabs of any kind of ribs or 6 briskets, 10 butts, etc is pretty high capacity for home use.

What is nice about the G2's is that full pans fit in there, so you can cook chicken with any other meats, just cook it in pans so no chicken drippings. Is that way you mentioned chicken in one smoker with the pork in another?

Do you have any other smokers? If so, you have capacity there too to cook at home if you need more than the party.
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have a BW Chubby and I really like it - for shorter cooks. I cook with higher heat (270-350) so I'll cooks ribs, chicken, smaller chucks, etc. on it in a heartbeat. If I'm just cooking a butt I'll fire up the UDS so as to get a longer burn without having to replenish coals. I think there are charcoal baskets you can get for the BW to get a longer burn, but I haven't looked into that. The BW will hold temps like crazy - they're great cookers.

I like the idea of 2 cookers (I have around 10 ) - that way you don't have to fire up a big cooker to cook one thing, and as you mentioned, you can have different things going on at the same time and at different temps if you like. Another option to throw out there is a Chubby and a UDS. If you don't feel like fooling with what it takes to build a UDS you can get a kit from Big Poppa Smokers and all you have to do is assemble it.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

I was gonna say get the party because I love bigger cookers. But I got myself one of those little 18WSM for the very reason that my two other pits are huge and REALLY huge.

So if you're looking for something to smoke with everyweek and occassionally need some extra room, the twin chubbies might make sense.

PLUS you get to give them funny names

1. LOW & SLOW
2. Tweedle DEE & Tweedle DUM
3. Beavis & butthead

etc

Old 11-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

You said in your financial position, so get 2 weber wsm's 18 or 22. I personally have an 18 and 22. But I'd be all over a g2 party been drooling over them for awhile

Old 11-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

I think the G2 Party would be one hell of a machine. a more reasonable Competitor and the G2 chubby would be the Gaters baby brother. Either way would be incredible.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

You haven't stated your intentions for use, but either way if you're in tight financial shape I would go with a UDS or a WSM all the way.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
Smoke Lover
Found some matches.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. After reading and sleeping on it, I think I am gonna start with 1 Chubby G2 and see how it goes. I have cooked on the UDS once and couldn't hold temp. I'm sure I could figure it out in a matter of a few cooks but I really have the fever for a Backwoods Smoker.
Smoke Lover is offline   Reply With Quote