MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
Faston
Full Fledged Farker

Default Need Help Selecting Safet helmets!!

Finally ready to fix the spotweld on the support channel. Took me a long time the proper 240V connectors for both connectors.

I need to grab a welding helmet. Some folks have told me to get the cheaper that not darken automatically.

Other folks have told me I should get an auto darken.

I have flexibility on how much I spend, I want a good one!

Thanks,
Randy.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
Garrett
Babbling Farker

This is the helment that I use and it works great. They have them on sale all the time for $40.
http://www.harborfreight.com/blue-fl...MjI5NiJ9%0D%0A

Old 03-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
nastynotch347
Knows what a fatty is.

I have an auto darken lens and I love it... I weld quite often though. For a couple repairs every now and again I wouldn't drop close to $200 just to leave it gather dust.
nastynotch347 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
nastynotch347
Knows what a fatty is.

The HF one is a great price!
nastynotch347 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
Faston
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Garrett

Old 03-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

If you use the auto-darken helmet, be careful not to use it in such a way that something between the arc and the panels throws a shadow on the panel. The lens will not darken and that is Not Good™.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

I wear a welding hood all day every day and its a passive, autos just aren't for me. Whatever one you choose just buy a Jackson, they have the most comfortable headgear on market.

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

The auto darkening helmet is the only way to go The Peabody that invented that is my hero. That one from HF is pretty decent I have one and I have a Lincoln too. I cant really see( pun intended) much difference.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Faston
Full Fledged Farker

I wound up with an auto-adjust from H.F. for $35. This one has a dial that you can increase the overall darkness. Hope it really works:) Some nice guy was in line behind me and gave me the coupon for it.

Thanks for the warnings on the auto-adjusts. If this one does not darken properly I will get a fixed passive unit.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
wnkt
is One Chatty Farker

I got one of those cheap auto darkening one, but I only used it for the welding classes.
I couldnt get used to the regular fixed shade one I had before that, when I tried nodding my head to flip down the shield, my hands moved so I was off the mark.
The only thing I didnt like with the auto dark one was when I was looking up into the lights at the school, it would trigger the darkening before I was ready.

Im not a expert in any way, shape or form...but if you arent going to be doing more than a little welding every once in a while, I wouldnt go spending several hundred bucks. But if its going to be a job...i wouldnt skimp

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood
--saying in a fortune cookie--
wnkt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
buttburnersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Go to HF and get the auto dark helmet. The non auto dark helmets are a pain.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #12
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkt View Post
I got one of those cheap auto darkening one, but I only used it for the welding classes.
I couldnt get used to the regular fixed shade one I had before that, when I tried nodding my head to flip down the shield, my hands moved so I was off the mark.
The only thing I didnt like with the auto dark one was when I was looking up into the lights at the school, it would trigger the darkening before I was ready.

Im not a expert in any way, shape or form...but if you arent going to be doing more than a little welding every once in a while, I wouldnt go spending several hundred bucks. But if its going to be a job...i wouldnt skimp
Same thing here, with non larking, when I raised my helmet I would be way off the mark.
Dave

Old 03-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
Mixin
Got Wood.

The auto-darken ones are good for hobbyist welders who only do a small amount now & then. There's a slight delay between the arc & when they darken, and after a whole day of welding, your eyes will feel like they're full of sand.

I've found for the odd jobs, auto-darken is great, but for a day of car repairs with a MIG, the old passive one is the only way to save your eyes.

It's kinda the opposite to what you're doing - the short job where a/darken will be fine, so the delay won't be an issue for you, but it's hard to justify the cost.

One thing I have learnt though, if you own a welder, and your skills are reasonable, your buddies will catch on, then you'll find yourself doing a lot more welding jobs once word gets out - which would justify the added expense.
Mixin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

I've had one of the HF auto darkenings for five years. Still works great. I had to order new head gear for it this weekend as the straps finally broke. They are on sale for $39 right now. I just welded up a cart for my Backwoods this weekend - about three hours of welding and my eyes never felt like sand.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

FYI, there is currently a 25% off coupon good for tomorrow at HF
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote