MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Default Anita O'Days Sweet Georgia Brown

The Brethren also serves as my recipe database for when I need to remind myself of a recipe I need to make a video of. Please ignore this.

Next time you are smoking a nice spatchcocked turkey throw this in.

Anita O'Day's Sweet Georgia Brown

3 pounds of sweet potatoes
2 Lbs Parsnips
2 Lbs of Carrots (Full carrots)
4 Large Purple Onions (Red)
1 1/2 cups of dried cranberries (I Use Crasins which are cranberry flavored raisins as I use them in my slaw too)

O day's Hot Spoonful (Get the Joke?)

2T Brown James Brown
6T Jesse Johnson
4 T Italian Aretha Franklin
2 t George Clinton
1 t or more of FRESH Cracked Larry Graham
2/3 C of Travolta Inspired Parsely

Cut the Onions into chunks relatively the same mass as the next three ingredients. Peel everything. Cut veggies into 1 - 2 inch chunks. Grease up an hotel pan (I Often use smoked brisket or pork fat for this which I keep in the fridge like any decent Pitmaster would). This is VERY Important!!! Mix Parsnips, Carrots and crasins and dump in pan. Add the peeled sweet potatoes on top.

Mix up your Hot Spoonful.

Combine James Brown, Jesse Johnson, Italian Aretha Franklin< Clinton and Larry and pour over everything as best as you can (drizzle really) without mixing. Here is why... and I got this from a tip from my first edition of Joy Of Cooking. The veggies are laying against a film of grease and will stick little to the cooking pan. The Potatoes are on top and cook quicker so on top they are cooler and insulated by the more dense carrots and such.

Cook TIGHTLY covered in your Pit in a medium spot (provided you are correctly cooking at a house temp of above 275 (-:. This needs four hours or so. Remember... this is redneck cooking so times vary depending on equipment and the expertise of the pitmaster's ability to know when things are done without peeking at them.

Top with crumbled Bacon and Travolta Inspired Parsley when done. Don't worry, even though its tightly sealed in foil... the hint of smoke gets in there.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

God she was high as a kite there. That spoonful did a number huh?

Edict.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Sounds tasty Pit. Thanks!!

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

What's the secret?

O day's Hot Spoonful (Get the Joke?)

2T Brown James Brown
6T Jesse Johnson
4 T Italian Aretha Franklin
2 t George Clinton
1 t or more of FRESH Cracked Larry Graham
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Thanks Gary. The secret? I take it you are not talking about the code to the recipe. The secret about the spoonful was she had and love to partake in heroin.

Edict.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

tURKEY dAY bUMPS

Edict.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

if you guys only knew how funky this was you would not sleep cuz u'd be too funky 2 sleep with yo'self

Edict.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

i will tell you this again... this is the **** for turkey day man
Attached Images
File Type: jpg balsamic-root-vegetables-sl-x.jpg (56.2 KB, 208 views)

Edict.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

so was she

Edict.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

over ur heads... waaa waaa waaa waaaaamp

Edict.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

I like the Neely's sweet potatoe recipie

Ingredients
  • 4 tablespoons butter, plus 1 tablespoon for greasing
  • 4 medium yams or sweet potatoes, peeled
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter.
Cut each of the yams into 8 evenly shaped wedges. Lay them out in the prepared baking dish in an even layer. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar and allow to dissolve. Mix in syrup and cook until smooth. Pour the glaze over the yams and sprinkle with nutmeg.
Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for about 45 minutes or until the yams are tender when pierced with a fork but they still hold their shape.

2 EZ

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

i am gonna try that neelys thing. now the other day i had this pumpkin pie pudding casserole thing that was awesome.

however, this thread was about a recipe that had sp as only one of its parts.

and no... i do not care about hijacking so i am cool with the sweet potato recipe.

Edict.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Anybody care to share the secret code?

Gotta say, looks delicious!

Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #14
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

You might want to watch a few of Pitmasters vids. They are both educational and entertaining. There's a link on his posts.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #15
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
i am gonna try that neelys thing. now the other day i had this pumpkin pie pudding casserole thing that was awesome.

however, this thread was about a recipe that had sp as only one of its parts.

and no... i do not care about hijacking so i am cool with the sweet potato recipe.
I just like the glaze of the Neely's Sweet potatoe but will surely rob the idea of using a couple other root veggies in with the sweet taters. Dont really like the Caserole sweet potatoe dishes with the strusell toppings.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote