MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default 5 second rule (Table Captains)

Jeff (Divemaster) mentioned in a different thread that he would give advice on appearance for a box "with the 5 second rule just like in a real comp".
How many of you judges (and cooks) feel this is how appearence score should be (or is being ) handled by the table captain?
One of my pet peeves is a TC who whooses the box by me like it's a game show. If this is happening at my table I ask them to slow down a little.
I TC'd twice this year and told my table before we started that I would hold the box before them until they gave me a head nod. It really took no more time (definatly not 1 minute) and afterward they felt that they really got a chance to examine and appreciate the box as presented.
Obviously if you get some dink spending too much time you need to speak to him.
Personally, I think this would be a good rule of practice to get into.
How many of you feel you get enough time to decide on your appearence scores?
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

I have usually felt fine with the time I am given. Most table captains wait till they get a head nod or I have begun to write my score before moving on. On the rare occassion where needed I have asked to see it again and that has always been honored.keith
mobow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

We always ask for a nod. It's usually taught in our CBJ class out of respect for the TC and it gives the judge time. Sorry, but if a judge takes an extra 5 or 10 seconds before they nod, I don't move on.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

I have only judged once but the table captain didnt move the box till you were writin the score down.
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Only once or twice have I had to ask the TC to slow down. Usually the TC waits for a nod or for the judge to start writing before he moves on.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
trueque
Full Fledged Farker

My experience is the nod or a "thank you" is required and appreciated. It doesn't take long and the teams deserve the time for the best evaluation of their product.

Backwoods Party
trueque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Jeff (Divemaster) mentioned in a different thread that he would give advice on appearance for a box "with the 5 second rule just like in a real comp".
How many of you judges (and cooks) feel this is how appearance score should be (or is being ) handled by the table captain?
One of my pet peeves is a TC who whooses the box by me like it's a game show. If this is happening at my table I ask them to slow down a little.
I TC'd twice this year and told my table before we started that I would hold the box before them until they gave me a head nod. It really took no more time (defiantly not 1 minute) and afterward they felt that they really got a chance to examine and appreciate the box as presented.
Obviously if you get some dink spending too much time you need to speak to him.
Personally, I think this would be a good rule of practice to get into.
How many of you feel you get enough time to decide on your appearance scores?
Ed
In my defense, the five second rule I spoke of is more to keep me from spending to much time looking at my screen. I too have asked the TC to slow down or even bring back a box if they moved it on to fast.

Sorry for any confusion.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote