MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
Greg60525
On the road to being a farker

Default Marine Going Away Party for 80......Please Check My Numbers

I'm throwing a going away party for my son, whom has joined the Marines.

We will have ~ 80 people with a more male heavy population due to my son's friends skewing the distribution. About 20 women and teenage girls (young ladies). Not many young kids.

I will be having pulled pork, brisket and broasted chicken. I will be cooking the pork and brisket and having a local BBQ joint supply the chicken.

The sides will include german potato salad, cole slaw, corn on the cob, pasta salad and mini corn bread.

Some feast this will be! There will be desert..........oh yes.......desert! This is an italian and german family.........always a lot of food.

I was figuring:

- Pork: 5oz sandwich each - 48 lb uncooked (assumed 50% yield)
- Brisket: 5oz sandwich each - 40 lb uncooked (assumed 60% yield)
- Mixed chicken pieces: 100 pieces
- Sides: not sure how much - the family is going to chip in and prepare them. I'll do the corn, maybe 100 ears

I don't mind some leftovers. I'd rather error on the too much side than not enough.........this is not a catering gig where I'm trying to make a profit. But, I don't want to go over-board either. This is probably why I assumed 5 oz sandwiches instead of the more common 4 oz.

So, please check my numbers and let me know if I'm too heavy or too light on something. Did I make the proper yield assumptions? Do I need more chicken?

One other thing on setting up the serving table (self serve)........should I place the pork and brisket first, followed by the sides and the chicken last? What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Old 07-05-2010, 05:17 AM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

You will probably have left overs. Not many will eat 2 sandwiches and a piece of chicken along with salad. But if you don't mind freezing some you'll be fine.

Set up salads first on the buffet. That way people will have room for them on the plate and they will come back if they want a 2nd sandwich. Besides if family is making the salads you want to make sure they are consumed.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Congrats Greg on your son joining the Marines!! Feed em well!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

I just cooked for 100 Marine recruiters. I think you have too much food, not many will have two sandwiches, chicken plus the sides. I would at least do the corn on the cob by cutting them 1/2 so you get cobbetts. I did 2 oz. MOINK balls and they flew off the table.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Greg60525

Thanks for the advice.

If I assume 4oz sandwiches that basically, eliminates 1 butt and 1 brisket. Do you still feel that I would have leftovers? It's not that I want to have leftovers, I just don't want to cut it too close.

My wife thinks I need more chicken...........it's that italian family thing kick'n in! With the chicken placed last I doubt that people would take two pieces during the first trip through the line, unless they take a small wing and a leg or something.

What do you think?

Thanks again,
Old 07-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Tell your son, "Thank you" for us!

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Chicken is the cheapest meat so put that first. I would do 1/2 chickens and quarter them after they are cooked or do leg quarters and split them. Leg quarters run less than .50# so you can do a lot.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
Greg60525

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
Tell your son, "Thank you" for us!

I did, and I believe he was genuinely happy to know that people respect the committment that these servicemen and women are making.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
BigBrad

I cooked 4 10lb briskets, 5 8lb butts and 12 spare ribs, 2 gallon baked beans, potato salad, and pasta salad and cookies and bars for my anual all you can eat fund raiser. I fed 90 people and had 3 lbs of pulled pork left. They ate everything put the forks. My biggest mistake was I didn't have buns so they just ate straight meat. Lesson learned for next year. You should have plenty of food in my oppinion but young men can eat a lot.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
Greg60525

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
I cooked 4 10lb briskets, 5 8lb butts and 12 spare ribs, 2 gallon baked beans, potato salad, and pasta salad and cookies and bars for my anual all you can eat fund raiser. I fed 90 people and had 3 lbs of pulled pork left. They ate everything put the forks. My biggest mistake was I didn't have buns so they just ate straight meat. Lesson learned for next year. You should have plenty of food in my oppinion but young men can eat a lot.

Brad, thanks for that data point. I think I keep my amount as originally planned........same brisket and pork amount as you had. I will have buns, so that should help them fill up, but providing a bun probably means adding more meat to it than if they just put meat on the plate.