This is the year!!!

D

drewc

Alright I have dreamed about it and talked about it..................I want to GO FOR IT!!!!! My first competition. I am having trouble finding a BACKYARD COMP. I am not going to start out at Memphis in May or anything like that, I want to work my way into this gradually, so I figured a BACKYARD BBQ Competition would be to get my feet wet and not a great expense. My question is does anyone know where I can get INFO on BACKYARD BBQ Comps. I have been on KCBS and others looking and am probably overlooking them. I put Backyard comps into the search engine and that is just a mess. If anyone can point me in the direction of listings, info or anything it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if any one has advice on a BACKYARD BBQ COMPETITION that would be awesome as well.

Try google search akin to "BBQ competition Tennessee". Quite a few sanctioned
comps also have additional backyard categories.

Go directly to the websites of the events listed on KCBS that are geographically close to you. It is not unusual for a backyard event to be planned around the KCBS event. There are many types of events that can occur around a KCBS event so keep looking until you find what you are looking for.

If you go into your first comp as a learning experience there is no reason you can't just jump right in. For example, (KCBS) go to the comp planning to turn in ribs and butts - or whatever, and don't sweat the other categories. In fact, some KCBS comps only charge per meat, so you would only need to pay for what you want to cook. You won't be in the running for Grand Champion, but who cares. I am certain that after your first comp you will feel comfortable with the structure of the event. In my opinion (only cooking KCBS) there is no reason for you to hold back.

Just do it!! Nothing to lose :)

Go to the KCBS site. Select the Memphis Variety club contest and you should see info on the Backyard contest and the KCBS part too.
Alright I have dreamed about it and talked about it..................I want to GO FOR IT!!!!! My first competition. I am having trouble finding a BACKYARD COMP. I am not going to start out at Memphis in May or anything like that, I want to work my way into this gradually, so I figured a BACKYARD BBQ Competition would be to get my feet wet and not a great expense. My question is does anyone know where I can get INFO on BACKYARD BBQ Comps. I have been on KCBS and others looking and am probably overlooking them. I put Backyard comps into the search engine and that is just a mess. If anyone can point me in the direction of listings, info or anything it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if any one has advice on a BACKYARD BBQ COMPETITION that would be awesome as well.

The Whistle Stop festival here in Huntsville, AL has a backyard comp. I think its in May.

If you go into your first comp as a learning experience there is no reason you can't just jump right in. For example, (KCBS) go to the comp planning to turn in ribs and butts - or whatever, and don't sweat the other categories. In fact, some KCBS comps only charge per meat, so you would only need to pay for what you want to cook.

That's what I did. My first comp I did just chicken and pork. It did take a lot of the pressure off and made it really fun.

google is your freind...good luck brother smoker...:biggrin:

Tennessee BBQ Festivals & Competitions

In California we have a group called the CBBQA that does varying levels of competitions, they have a comp designed to actually teach about competitions. There might be a group like that local to you. Would be worth looking in to.

Just jump in with both feet and try a sanctioned event. My experience is that you learn from some pretty good teams. We started with a couple small events but didn't really start learning about the nuances of competition bbq until we started doing full contest. Good luck!

THANK YOU ALL for the constuctive input!!!!!! I will continue to look, I will find one.

The Whistle Stop festival here in Huntsville, AL has a backyard comp. I think its in May.

I checked out the Whistle Stop Festival, it was NOT THAT far away and sounded like it would be fun.
It is FULL ALREADY...........................the Backyard/Shadetree Ap said we are full at this time, you can fill it out and be put on a waiting list.

WOW!!!! Sounds like it would be a blast if it is full already.

They can be very fun. Exhausting, and fun. It's not for everyone... However, I love it.

I'm not certain, but I think the BBQ Pitmasters show on TLC may bring in a whole new
batch of new competitors.

Good luck.

I know there are sanctioned contests in Johnson City and Franklin, NC this year, neither one too far from you. I'd call or eMail the organizers and see if they plan to have backyard comps or would be interested in starting one. If all else fails, another option would be to see if you can be a runner or some such for a team at either of those comps. Not quite what you want, but you could certainly get your feet wet and learn.

dmp

See? this is what I shoudl have done. Check for smaller comps. Check my post "My first competition" for info on what NOT to do.

Back