MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
OcalaScott
On the road to being a farker

Default Duck!!!!! ,,, No Really Duck on the UDS!! Beer Can Style

Well, I like duck, but I have only tried to cook it one time. It ended in disaster. But today, I tried again using my fancy UDS. It worked!!

Started by dusting with poultry seasoning mix and stood it up on the beer can chicken holder.

Got the UDS going and sat it on,

Here it is after 2 hours, been holding stable at 225 degrees.

Off the UDS at 5 hours, kept the temp at 225 for the first 3 hours then upped it to 300 for the final 2 hours. Internal temp 164 in the breast.

Cut, slice and serve,

The breast meat, I wish the flash would not have washed out the color, there was a Beautiful smoke ring! You can see the layer of fat still remaining under the skin.

My plate with Wild Rice and Sweet Potatoes, before the sauce

With the sauce

Was it good? Yes, very moist and tender, it was wonderful, I will make it again doing the low and slow method. The only thing I didn't like was the skin. It was very soft and still had a lot of fat under it. We just seperated it and the meat underneath was fantastic.

My daughters friend on the left and my son on the right, this was their first taste of duck. They both liked it. I did too, more importantly, the boss, my lovely wife liked it too.

Scott

Last edited by OcalaScott; 01-01-2010 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: forgot internal temp
OcalaScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice eats for sure!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
stiffy
Full Fledged Farker

The UDS can do some amazing things with birds, of any type.. and it did again. Well done looks tasty!! Maybe I'll go duck hunting now..
stiffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
cameraman
Babbling Farker

I'm interested in smoking a duck too. Did you pierce the skin to encourage the fat rendering out?
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
Paulmark
is One Chatty Farker

Very nice job.. looks great. What kind of sauce did you make? Also I would have taken the fat and rendered it down and save it.

Last edited by Paulmark; 01-01-2010 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: more
Paulmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
OcalaScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
I'm interested in smoking a duck too. Did you pierce the skin to encourage the fat rendering out?
I took the knife and put one slice in each breast, just thru the skin and not into the meat. The fat didn't really render. I only had about 3 TBS of fat in the drip pan. Maybe the temp was to low to render it. The meat wasn't greasy or dry, it was very good.

Scott

Old 01-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
SmokedJohnson

I love duck and have had it many different ways. That is by far the best looking duck I have ever seen. Did you use beer or did you just use the holder to keep it up right?

Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Good job and it looks like it's cooked perfectly.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
OcalaScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokedJohnson View Post
I love duck and have had it many different ways. That is by far the best looking duck I have ever seen. Did you use beer or did you just use the holder to keep it up right?
It was really good, at least we thought so. I was worried for the last few hours because the fat was not rendering like some said it would.

I just used the holder. I wanted the fat to run out and down to the drip pan. I didn't use beer, I don't buy beer, I make my own and keg it so I just used a pop can with water and a TBS of the poultry seasoning dumped into/onto it. I have used beer many times for chicken and turkey and honestly, I don't think it made a difference. I think the seasoning is more important.

Scott

Old 01-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
OcalaScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmark View Post
Very nice job.. looks great. What kind of sauce did you make? Also I would have taken the fat and rendered it down and save it.
Hahahaha, the sauce was stuffed up the A$$ of the duck, so I really can't answer that one. It was an orange sauce with A LOT of sugar, I mean A LOT!!! It was OK, but only need a little on the meat, not like I did and pour it on.

I was going to make an orange sauce since I have these ready and today was in the 60's, I should have picked them

As far as the fat, I only had a few TBS of fat. I thought about that and that is a good idea. I wanted to fry up some potatoes with the duck fat but didn't really have enough.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

I Par-B-Q (partially BBQ) my quackers. Smoke them low & slow to about 100 F internal, then finish in the oven at 350 - 375 F to crisp the skin. Try that next time and you will love duck skin.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #12
EatonHoggBBQ
Babbling Farker

Nice job on the duck.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #13
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Great looking duck Scott! I've not tried one on my drum yet, looks and sounds promising. Thanks for the post!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #14
bingo1912
Take a breath!

WOW! great photos and a good looking bird too. I don't know if this is sacrilege but how about taking it out 5-10 degrees before you hit the target temp and placing it in the oven at 450 to crisp up the skin?

Old 01-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
jestridge

A very big quack for you. looks wonderful
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote